Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Pet peeve....

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 9 Replies

Okay. I'm gonna start this off with a little back ground. 

I'm not normally a 'grammar nazi'. I'm normally okay with most things. I can understand typos. I can understand spelling a word wrong.  I can totally understand someone who is still learning the language making mistakes. 

I can sometimes even get past the txt spk, and slang of the younger generation.  (I'm older than most if not all here. but was told I could stay, because I like you ladies) 

I normally only go after people that do the spelling/typos/slang... like u for you. y for why. That type of thing when they are picking on or disrespecting someone else who has a typo or something. 

What really gets me is when someone who has been speaking, writing, typing the English language for all of their lives, who speak like they are just learning the language.  The sentence structure is all wrong.  Doesn't make sense the way they word what they are trying to say. To the point of not understanding what they are trying to say.

I can even deal with the grammar errors on here when I know the person is using a phone to post something.  

A friend of mine, who I went to school with, and had the same english class. Just posted this to her fb...

to all my seven of my brothers

What she meant was: To all seven of my brothers. 

oh and using the word and when they really mean an.  

Does anyone else feel the same way? 

Before anyone gets on my case for my grammatical errors. I can understand what I'm trying to say. I'm sure you can as well. I'm not talking about nit picky things. The things I'm talking about pretty much scream "NO.Wrong." to me.  No, I'm not perfect. I do strive to better myself. So, if I've made errors in this post. Please, as long as you are doing so with the intention to teach me, feel free to correct it.

Thank you in advance.

wedding countdown

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mnmbaby
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Stuff like that irritates me, too. I hate it when people say "seen" instead of "saw," "does" instead of "do" or "did," double negatives, abbreviations I don't understand, run-on sentences, etc. I guess I could be classed as a "grammar nazi," but I don't usually correct people, I just leave the page if I can't read it. In real life, I tend to correct my family, but that's it. I'm only 24, so I guess I would be part of "younger generation" of which you speak, but I hate that most of my peers speak like they don't know English.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Quoting mnmbaby:

Stuff like that irritates me, too. I hate it when people say "seen" instead of "saw," "does" instead of "do" or "did," double negatives, abbreviations I don't understand, run-on sentences, etc. I guess I could be classed as a "grammar nazi," but I don't usually correct people, I just leave the page if I can't read it. In real life, I tend to correct my family, but that's it. I'm only 24, so I guess I would be part of "younger generation" of which you speak, but I hate that most of my peers speak like they don't know English.

Younger generation, to me is more the teens. You are still young, don't get me wrong. 

You aren't a grammar nazi unless you actually take the time to correct every one. Family is a different story. *giggles* Sometimes it's nice to correct someone on something when they've been correcting you, your entire life.

I am glad I'm not the only one. This friend and I are the same age. She will turn 40 in 15 days, and I will turn 40, 7 days later.

wedding countdown

StarryRain
by Rain on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Gah. It irks me all around, I swear, no one knows English anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mnmbaby
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting mnmbaby:

Younger generation, to me is more the teens. You are still young, don't get me wrong. 

You aren't a grammar nazi unless you actually take the time to correct every one. Family is a different story. *giggles* Sometimes it's nice to correct someone on something when they've been correcting you, your entire life.

I am glad I'm not the only one. This friend and I are the same age. She will turn 40 in 15 days, and I will turn 40, 7 days later.

Yes, teenagers don't know how to speak. I correct my family because I want my DD and any other children DF and I have to speak correctly. I don't correct people online because I don't want to make people mad; it's easier to just ignore them.

chelse07
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I had an English teacher that would not let you finish what you were saying if you weren't grammatically correct. She especially picked out when someone used seen instead of saw. I correct df all the time with it because it bothers me when he does it and it bothers him when I correct. It's a no win situation, lol. He also knows when I'm mad at him because I'll nit pick when he spells something wrong in a text.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomWFiveInTow
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM

there , their , they're
weather, whether
witch, which
lay, lie
I see these mistakes and a couple others actually most of the time ....... 

FoxTales
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I have several pet peeves surrounding the misuse and and abuse of the English language (consider that I majored in journalism and have always been linguistically-minded) but I must mention that the worst grammar-nazi I know is a 16-year-old girl. She is very precise in her language and is constantly correcting her friends. You wouldn't even take her for that kind of person, because she is also a big party girl who is attached to her phone 24/7. I know several teenagers who are driven batty by "text-speak". So it isn't a totally lost cause ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't forget your, and you're.

The past tense of anything. 

Quoting MomWFiveInTow:

there , their , they're
weather, whether
witch, which
lay, lie
I see these mistakes and a couple others actually most of the time ....... 

wedding countdown

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Quoting FoxTales:

I have several pet peeves surrounding the misuse and and abuse of the English language (consider that I majored in journalism and have always been linguistically-minded) but I must mention that the worst grammar-nazi I know is a 16-year-old girl. She is very precise in her language and is constantly correcting her friends. You wouldn't even take her for that kind of person, because she is also a big party girl who is attached to her phone 24/7. I know several teenagers who are driven batty by "text-speak". So it isn't a totally lost cause ;)

I correct people online. Mainly, because there have been more than a few times where I am thanked for it. To find out shortly afterwards, that they are learning the langauge and appreciate the correction. Can't learn the proper way to speak a language if people are too afraid to teach/correct you so you are saying it properly.

A lot of times now, though, I will ask a person if english is their native tongue. If they say no, then I explain how to correct it and why. If it is, then I just nit pick. It's annoying.  

Awwwwwwwww. My son just made me lose my entire train of thought. He walked up to me and put his face like an inch from mine. When I turned my face towards him, he touched my nose with his nose and turned and walked away. 

So adorable. So sweet. Thoughts were lost. LOL. I'll think of it again later and post it here.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)