Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I am so frustrated with day care.

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM
  • 16 Replies
My kids have been doing great. We have been good about hand washing, vitamins, etc. to keep the flu and other sicknesses away. They havent been sick in a while.They spend 3 day days in daycare and BAM, sick. *sigh*
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
6under1roof
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Yeah, daycares are sesspools of grody germs.

Your kids may be good at hand washing, but I bet most of the others aren't. Especially after they sneeze/cough/pick boogers etc. Plus the toys and items at daycares are little pitri dishes.. they only disinfect them daily, so all through the day the snotty, germy, icky hands touch and rub one right after the other.

BLECH.

Would they be responsible with a little personal/travel bottle of alcohol based hand sanitizer? (or even be allowed to keep it with them?)

coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Probably not. That would be a great idea though

Quoting 6under1roof:

Your kids may be good at hand washing, but I bet most of the others aren't. Especially after they sneeze/cough/pick boogers etc. Plus the toys and items at daycares are little pitri dishes.. they only disinfect them daily, so all through the day the snotty, germy, icky hands touch and rub one right after the other.

BLECH.

Would they be responsible with a little personal/travel bottle of alcohol based hand sanitizer? (or even be allowed to keep it with them?)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bl3ss3dMommi
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Rub a little neosporan or however you spell that inside there noses and on there hands. It helps to keep them from getting sick my kids all have low immune systems and i do this. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teaching_mama
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Not all daycares are like that. My dds old daycare they washed hands frequently throughout the day. If a child had a toy in his/her mouth or coughed/sneezed on it, that you was put into the "dirty toys" box until it could be disinfected. The teachers were very good about teaching the kids to cough/sneeze into their elbow and was their hands after sneezing or something. My daughter went to daycare for 4 years and never had more than a minor cold while there.

Some daycares may not be as diligent about those things as ours was though.

Quoting 6under1roof:

BLECH.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

New locations have different strains of germs that your local environment.  Your local store does as well.  Why are you so upset?  Kids need to build immunity to different germs.  It will worse before it gets better but it will get better.  They just have to build up more immunities to the outside world.  This is normal.

FoxTales
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I am going through the same issue :( ds only goes once a week, but he has been sick now with either subsequent or persistent viruses for a month!! Now his fever is back and I am pretty sure he picked up a virus that caused a more resistant ear infection... The antibiotics didn't seem to heal it. So back in we go. I know it is a normal cycle of life and he will need to develop his immune system, but he is only 17 months, so maybe he could have waited longer :( if it were an option, I would be pulling him out... It sounds silly to be so extreme, but I'm tired of my baby just catching one thing after another.
As soon as he gets over one thing, he goes back to daycare, and he is sick again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not silly. No one wants their kid to be sick because other parents seem to allow their kids to infect others. This happened the last time they were in daycare, I pulled them out and it was fine, now I don't have a choice.

I hope your son starts feeling better!

Quoting FoxTales:

I am going through the same issue :( ds only goes once a week, but he has been sick now with either subsequent or persistent viruses for a month!! Now his fever is back and I am pretty sure he picked up a virus that caused a more resistant ear infection... The antibiotics didn't seem to heal it. So back in we go. I know it is a normal cycle of life and he will need to develop his immune system, but he is only 17 months, so maybe he could have waited longer :( if it were an option, I would be pulling him out... It sounds silly to be so extreme, but I'm tired of my baby just catching one thing after another.

As soon as he gets over one thing, he goes back to daycare, and he is sick again.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Unfortunately, it's all too common. A person can be a carrier and spreading their sick germs before they even show symptoms. On the plus side, they are strengthening their immune systems. At least that's what I tell myself.
.Peaches.
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Yeah, that's what happens when they're introduced to a new environment and germs. It's life.

It's not good to keep kids in a overly sanitized bubble. I'm a nursing student with 3 girls, and believe you me, we're some clean folks around here! But to some extent, it's healthy to expose your children to germs (unless we're talking about children with compromised immune systems). Overuse of antibacterial soaps and things like that are partly responsible for creating these super-bugs and more resistant bacteria and viruses we're seeing.

If they're healthy children, they'll be fine.
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I was so relieved when we stopped getting those constant colds. As soon as I was able to stay at home and keep ds with me, we stopped getting a new cold every month. We rarely get sick now.

They say that after a year they'll stop getting sick so much. That wasn't our experience, but it's evidently typical.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)