Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you buy into the whole Valentine's Day hype?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 14 Replies

Valentine's Day Is Just a Big Scam Disguised as Love

Posted by Andrew Kardon on February 9, 2013 

You may not know it, but I'm actually a pretty sensitive guy. I can get mushy like the rest of them and really enjoy treating my wife to a romantic evening when I can. But despite that, I have to say this about that little "holiday" coming up this week: Valentine's Day is the biggest crock.

Just another one of those made-up Hallmark holidays, V-Day regularly spreads far more pain than love. First, there are all the people out there who aren't married, dating, or in a serious relationship. Or worse, there are those who just broke up with someone or are going through a rough divorce. Valentine's Day is just a way of the calendar giving those folks the middle finger.

But that's not what I really dislike about this bogus holiday. I love my wife. I love her each and every day. More with each passing 24 hours. So who the hell are the greeting card companies and the chocolate makers and the florists and the jewelry people (I need a scapegoat here, so they all get my wrath) to tell me WHEN and HOW I should express my love for her?

What, so I can ignore my wife for 364 days of the year and treat her like utter garbage, but then buy her candy and roses on February 14 and all is forgiven? Or maybe I forgot that I'm supposed to say those three special words to her and I need to be reminded once every year. Puhleeze.

Thankfully, my wife is on the same page as me. Valentine's Day is just another day. If I don't celebrate it, does that mean that I don't love my wife? Of course not. If I don't celebrate it, does it mean I won't tell her I love her? Definitely not. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

I buy my wife gifts all the time. I gift her songs from iTunes. Call her nauseatingly cute animal names. Text her little affectionate notes. Tell her I love her dozens of times a day. I do it all and I do it often. I don't save it up for one specific day.

Now, when we were first dating and even a few years into our marriage, I'd buy my wife cards, presents, chocolates, and even take her to dinner on Valentine's Day. I sent her a dozen long-stemmed roses one year when she was a teacher. Her students loved that one.

I get the allure, the appeal of buying into the whole hearts and chocolate lovefest. But the entire premise is just ridiculous. I know so many women who get so upset on Valentine's Day because they aren't dating anyone and they feel awful and useless for some crazy reason. And then there are the guys who are in relationships but they just started dating, so they're clueless about what to do.

Overall, it's just one hot mess. I for one won't be partaking in any Valentine's Day festivities this year. Well, except for maybe eating a chocolate heart or two. But that's only for the chocolate, not the love.

Do you buy into the whole Valentine's Day hype?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenoxclan
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Nope, personally think it's a stupid Holiday.. And this isn't because I don't get anything..Because I don't get anything simply because I think it's a stupid Holiday.

We don't celebrate our love once a year..We do it every day in small and big ways..

MrsApple
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM

It annoys me when people say,"I love my spouse every day of the year,I don't need a special day to do it." That's like saying the people that DO celebrate it DON'T treat their spouse special every day of the year! What's the harm in an extra special day? Why celebrate your anniversary if you feel that way? 

That being said,my husband and I do not go overboard for Valentines.He does usually suprise me with a gift of some sort even though I always tell him not to,he's just sweet like that,and I make him one of his favorite desserts and then we get a sitter and go out to dinner or even just back home with some wine to have some alone time.Neither one of us expects a big shabang.I don't want him spending hundreds on roses and gifts,he doesn't expect me in some new expensive lingerie...but to us it's just an extra day to celebrate our love for each other   :)

Simple-Beauty
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

We get the kids stuff for Valentine's Day (nothing huge, a little toy or 2, candy, balloons), but skip gifts for each other. My birthday is Feb. 6th and his is the 12th, and our wedding anniversary is March 9th, so Valentines Day is a bit much, outside of exchanging cards.

FoxTales
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't do anything huge, just little stuff. And we bought chocolate and a little red Elmo stuffy for our son. There are certain days that it is ok to remind yourself that special moments need to happen... That's why we also celebrate our anniversary ... But we make a much bigger deal out of that. :) I agree it is too commercialized, but some men never buy their wives flowers or whatever. My friend knows her husband loves her, but he has a different way of showing it. The first time he ever bought her a flower (she loves them, but has never asked because she doesn't want to prompt him or make him feel bad) was last valentine's day when he bought a rose for her and one for their daughter. So that was the first time in 3 years they had been together... He's the kind of guy that needs reminding. So I think it is a personal thing for everyone, and each couple needs to decide whether they will celebrate it, but they should have that discussion so one person isn't offended that the other didn't do something when they did! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greengreengrass
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this
The only thing we do for Valentine's day is pig out on clearance candy the day after lol

We show each other how much we love each other every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippieMomma08
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
V-Day is an excuse for us to buy our daughters pink frilly things and candy. That's it.

I will say, usually my husband does get me some Valentine's exclusive candy because this is the only time of year you cand find any (hearts, chocolate cherries...).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supermomwife09
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Nope! Never have to me its just another day

mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM
its not just another day for me....For me it's my sons birthday! Dh says he never needs to buy me a gift again for v day he gave me a gift that will last a lifetime are son....Dh tells me everyday that he loves me and he helps around the house thats all I need...v day for us is a consumer driven holiday....I hate flowers they are a waste of money.....If I mention I want some choclate dh will bring me some when he gets off work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MMerrill
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM

It's definitely a halmark holiday, but it's cute.  So why not take a holiday meant for love and celebrate it with someone you love, it's a good excuse to get an extra date night and just to take one day out of our busy lives to show some extra sweetness and love to each other :)

My husband and I don't go crazy but we like to do a little something and make it fun and sweet, or go out on a hot date while grandma babysits for us! :)

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sherner
by Shire...Baggins on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)