Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Asprin and kids...

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 5 Replies

So as mom's MOST of us know about Reye Syndrome. If not do your research, like now.

My question is, has anyone else ever given it to a kid? The reason I ask is because my aunt is going on a rampage on FB about mom's in particular giving it to kids. I've done my research and when my DD is given asprin its a "baby" asprin. She does not take it regularly and her doctor is aware of why she is taking it. She has awful leg pains at night. Tylenol does not help, nor does motrin. Hot baths/warm compresses do not help. Nothing helps her stop hurting except a baby asprin. Trust me, aside from giving this child prescription pain killers she can not find any relief.

So has anyone else HAD to give a child asprin?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
EmmaZate
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM
The closest thing I have come to giving a child aspirin is taking it during pregnancy, I know it's supposed to be one of those no-nos during pregnancy, but there is a medical reason for it, and if you say there is for your dd and her pedi is okay with it (and they are trustworthy) I would not worry about what other people say
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Nope.

But (and please don't take this the wrong way, because I'm soooo not being snarky) that's a perfect example of giving peopl TMI about your personal lives- they always got something to say. When it comes to stuff like that, you're better off with general answers instead of specific ones, especially when those people also happen to be your friends on FB too.

shadow_lark
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM
The risk for Reyes syndrome only comes into play if the child has a fever if I remember correctly....
LongBeachLiz
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I say assess the risks and benefits. If the benefits outweigh the risks (and you are aware of the risks ) then do what is best for you.
I've never had the need to use aspirin so it has never been a decision I've had to make.
KanPsMommy
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Fever or chicken pox. That's why I'm careful about giving it to her. They also shouldn't take it if they had the varicella shot within three weeks.

Quoting shadow_lark:

The risk for Reyes syndrome only comes into play if the child has a fever if I remember correctly....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)