Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Where do you draw the line when it comes to sharing your story online?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

Oversharing Online Could Cost You in Court (VIDEO)

Posted by Lindsay Ferrier on February 12, 2013

Moms MatterWe've all seen examples of oversharing online, but it's especially disturbing when the culprit is a mom and she's dishing major TMI about her divorce, her ex, or her ex's new flame.

As it turns out, you and your friends might not be the only ones reading those status updates. Divorce attorneys report that Facebook, Twitter, and blogs are one of the first places they turn to find incriminating information about their client's exes.

Is it possible to share online about divorce without going too far? We investigate in a special Moms Matter video report after the jump.

As you can see, while it's often therapeutic for women to write or blog about their divorce experience online, unless you can do it without letting those feelings of anger, bitterness, and resentment color your writing (and let's face it, most women can't), your friends and followers probably don't want to read all about it. And those who do are showing up to view a potential trainwreck in the making.

Oversharing online has become such a problem when it comes to divorce that some couples are even including social media clauses in their custody agreements, detailing what kind of information each parent is allowed to share about the kids online.

Yesterday, Kyra Phillips took up the topic on HLN's Raising America and asked me to sit in as a guest. Click here to see Kyra's video

There's definitely a lot to think about when it comes to this topic, and with so many moms online, oversharing is only going to increase.

So where do you draw the line when it comes to sharing your story online? What's acceptable and what's plain old TMI?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
OompaLover6969
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I probably used to share a bit to much.....

Nothing regarding divorce or anything, though.

I plan to keep more to myself in the future. :) It's to easy for people online to use & take advantage of others these days. It's both scary & very sad. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

When I was in college I would update my status almost hourly.  Now that I have 2 kids and am looking for a big girl job I have gone through and cleared out most of my old facebook posts and I usually share things that are going on in my life, but delete things at the end of the month.

I don't have any location info on my facebook, except for school and employment history.  

I try to keep my posts general and I don't really have any drama in my life anymore so I don't have to worry about that being on my page.

coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM

im pretty private

rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to not share anything negative in my life online.  Once it is out there, it is out there.  As far as good stuff, I share a lot more on facebook (people I know) than on here (since I don't actually know the people).  I will only share pictures and names, but I mostly use this sight to ask questions and offer up advice or comfort for other moms.

victoriangavin
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I use the don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all rule... Mostly just share stuff about my son and school. Any attorney wants to look at my fb for our cs case they are welcome to it :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PrincessButton
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I deleted my facebook. I didn't have anything incriminating on it, although I'm sure my ex does ;) When I did have facebook most of my posts were song quotes or bible verses about how I was feeling that day. I'm sure a few Eminem quotes had squeezed there way in seeing his is my 'I'm mad, go to music' but that's long gone now. I never was into sharing my life with the world wide web but if you bump into me on the street I do tend to open up a little too much (I'm working on changing that seeing as my SO is very private) I'm happy my FB is gone!

ashleigh24
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I did that before and learned my lesson. I try not to share too much now. Especially since I have my daycare parents (I have an in home daycare) on there. They really like me sharing pics of the kids. I'm actually going through a divorce right now and most people just found out this past weekend and that is because we told them. They all knew something was going on but didn't know what. The people that matter know and that is all that counts. My divorce will be final in 30 days!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lenoxclan
by Lenox on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I pretty much don't share anything I don't want repeated.. Especially online.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)