Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Screaming 16 month old. Help?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hey ladies. I have a 16 month old who loves to scream when he wants something. he knows 4 signs already and uses them but gets frustrated and screams sometimes. I put him in time out when we are at home but my problem is when we are in public. I don't know how to discipline him when we are not at home. He screams and makes a scene, and i give in, to quite him down. Any advice on how to make the screaming stop? 

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't know if punishing is the right option at all. From how you describe it, he is screaming because he is trying to communicate and can't correctly. I think getting him in trouble might be giving him the wrong impression that he shouldn't try to share his wants with you. If I read this wrong, let me know. Instead I would work on teaching him patience, an inside voice, and work on the words for his wants/needs. This is where it is crucial for you to also stay calm as you discover what he is trying to talk about. Babies will scream, people understand. It is their only way of communicating until they discover words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Stop giving into him- that's why you're having a problem now. Kids act up in public- its a fact of life, and to some extent, unavoidable. I'm not sure if you're not disciplining him because you're embarassed that he's actin a fool, or because you're worried about what other people might think of your disciplinary methods. Either way, neither is a reason to just let him have what he wants.

I really never have too much of a problem with my kids acting out in public, because its just an understood rule that I don't put up with it, and if you choose to act a fool, I'm gonna act a fool too.

Now, the question is, what is he screaming about? Because at 16 months, kids can't say a whole lot of words, so it may be frustration. That being said, frustration is still no reason to give into him. Allow extra time when you go out somewhere to take him to the car or whatever if he's having a meltdown.

LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I have a 1.5 yo and a 3 yo.  The trick is not caring what others might say or think.  Discipline him how you would normaly.  I talk to them in a stern mannor to get their attention.  If they still act up there are things that I will do to have them stop.  I put them in a moble time out in the store.  I tell them it is silent time for a few minutes.  They quiet down and then we talk.  But if it is bc he is getting frustrated time out is not advised.  Try to get him to take a few breaths to calm down and then try again.  My youngest is starting to pick up on a few signs too.  When we try to learn a new one he gets upset too.  At that point we hug and I talk him down.  Most times this works.  He is is trying to do what you tell him but he might not be getting it all of the way.  Jus tbe patient.

funhappymom
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

If he's having trouble communicating then maybe discipline isn't the way to go. If he's screaming to scream then it is. If he's screaming because he knows you'll give in, you'll want to stop them right now before it gets worst.

LancesMom
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Hi! You have to be prepared to walk away from what you are doing and not give into him. It will be difficult but giving in is how he is learning. He knows after awhile you'll give in, so he plays the game. If he knows you will not give in and will walk away from what your doing.... he will learn to behave differently.

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I totally agree. Once you do this enough times, he'll learn that screaming won't get him his way and he'll start to behave better. :)

Quoting LancesMom:

Hi! You have to be prepared to walk away from what you are doing and not give into him. It will be difficult but giving in is how he is learning. He knows after awhile you'll give in, so he plays the game. If he knows you will not give in and will walk away from what your doing.... he will learn to behave differently.

TempestRayne
by Donna on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I agree with leaving from public outings.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)