Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Anyone breastfeed & lose weight (ppl who exercised)...

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

After 6 wk checkup... I would like to start working out. I fully plan on breastfeeding. I have no idea what/how I should eat. I want to lose but also want to make enough milk. I have searched the web and asked people around me and they have no idea. Keep in mind most of my workouts will burn 300+ cals. Ill be doing cardio and strength training about 4-5 X per week.

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Hanab818
by Hana on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I workout and I just eat when I'm hungry. i I've lost weight. I'm down 30 lbs and I lost that in about 6 months. I ebf my 10 month old. I eat as healthy non processed foods as I want. With a treat everyone in a while.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump... No help here. Im down 30lbs son is 4 months and I formula feed.
DejeweleD
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I breast fed my first son for three weeks but lost 50 lbs in less than 6 mos. I guess I'm just trying to balance eating enough for my milk supply and still losing weight. I'm naturally thin but I'm really wanting to breastfeed for awhile. Just didnt know if anyone could help me find a balance.
CMart305
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I strength trained and did cardio, EBF and lost wt pretty quickly.  I didn't have a problem with supply, but I found it helped to nurse right before or pump (basically empy yourself out) before work out.  (tip given to me by a lactation consultant) Also, depending on how much lactic acid you build up, Baby may not want to nurse right away.  As for eating, I just maintained a healthy diet.

punkymommy91
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I was wondering the same thing, and I came across the site kellymom.com They had a whole page about weight loss/dieting and breastfeeding.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

cheriem86
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I lost weight with my first born with just breastfeeding alone. If you are exercising too I would think that you should he able to eat plenty and still lose weight as long as it is good, healthy food.
sailorchu
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I'm only 2 weeks pp so I can't excessive yet. But I did loose 23 pounds so far breast feeding alone! I'm excited to see what I can do when I can actually work out! (:
lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

working out is fine but you shouldn't diet. The calories and food you take in goes to baby. So you need to be making quality milk for that little one! Everybody responds differently so pay attention to how your feeling and adjust how much you eat based on that. Staying hydrated is the most important part of keeping milk supply up! As for what you should eat, focus on lots of fats for the baby's brain. cod liver oil, whole milk ect. a portioned amount of unrefined carbs will help keep your energy up. You can also eat oatmeal daily, its a natural supply booster. Eat a balanced diet and you will be fine :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN