Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Sex and Elementary age kids

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

I need advice! Ladies I have 2  7year old girls , and lately one of them is very interested in sex. Whats to know where babies come from, how people have sex, is it a bad thing,why do people have sex ect? I don't know how to answer her questions! She is still so young to me! Totally caught me off guard. Advice please!!! How do i answer these questions, what do I say?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly talk to her about all these things in age appropriate ways.  Knowledge is power.  You also may want to see if her doctor has brochures on this topic for you.   Explain that sex is a way for adults to express their love for one another and it can result in creating a baby.  Find a book on basic sexual education like body parts , how they function etc.   I am presuming she knows the names of parts on body.

SciFiMama91
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Find an age appropriate book to read with her. My son started getting curious about certain parts of what you said at 3.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I'm not sure, DD is 6 and doesn't know what sex is. She knows you need 2 people to make a baby and that mother's have eggs. She didn't ask anymore questions so I stopped explaining at the point.

KawaiiLila
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM
This.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Honestly talk to her about all these things in age appropriate ways.  Knowledge is power.  You also may want to see if her doctor has brochures on this topic for you.   Explain that sex is a way for adults to express their love for one another and it can result in creating a baby.  Find a book on basic sexual education like body parts , how they function etc.   I am presuming she knows the names of parts on body.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids732
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
My ds is 8 and heard a few things from kids in school... Idr what he had heard but I had to sit down and tell him that sex is between two ADULTS that love each other...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Just be frank (while still age appropriate) and open about it. With DS (he's five) I just give him the correct terms/names for things and explain it all pretty openly. There isn't a set age for when they should know the facts of life. But it's always better to give information as it becomes interesting. Better that she hear it from you than a twisted version from someone else.

Mom2twinGplus1B
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Thank you all for your advice!!! I tried to tell her to wait until she was 10 or 11 and we can talk about it then. That wouldn't work she kept asking different questions.She has known the proper titles(penis,vagina) And knew babys come out of a mommy's vagina, but insisted on more detail on how the baby gets in there. I found a video online of a dr and a mom explaining sex to a little girl and showed her that. She then said "MOM YOU HAD SEX 3 TIMES!!!" and "did it hurt" I feel like i told her too much, and stole her innocence. But she seemed content and stoped asking/talking about it. Hope I went about it the right way!

CMart305
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I'd be more concerned about where her interest came from?  Someone is school?   I def. agree with the other posters about be honest and concise.  I think sometimes we think too much into kids questions and go to worst case scenario. Sounds like she had more involved questions and you answered them to her satisfaction, GL.  Our DD is only 18mo so I have some time to think up a plan, lol

brittany208
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

If she is asking you, then I wouldnt worry too much about you stealing her innocence. Sex and babies aren't really gross. It's just society that makes them gross. They are actually a very, very natural and normal part of life.

unless there is a bad reason she is asking these questions? but sounds like she's just curious, which is fine.

Quoting Mom2twinGplus1B:

Thank you all for your advice!!! I tried to tell her to wait until she was 10 or 11 and we can talk about it then. That wouldn't work she kept asking different questions.She has known the proper titles(penis,vagina) And knew babys come out of a mommy's vagina, but insisted on more detail on how the baby gets in there. I found a video online of a dr and a mom explaining sex to a little girl and showed her that. She then said "MOM YOU HAD SEX 3 TIMES!!!" and "did it hurt" I feel like i told her too much, and stole her innocence. But she seemed content and stoped asking/talking about it. Hope I went about it the right way!

Mom2twinGplus1B
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I myself was molested from when i was 4 until i was 13 so i know for a fact that is not it! I am very protective and make sure i will not make my parents mistakes. So that is deff. not the issue(thank god) She has been increasingly interested since I was pregnant & had her little brother. Plus she has been known to turn her tv on in her room late at night and recently watched family guy and american dad - and said they talk about sex.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN