Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

HELP! Need baby sleep advice!

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 11 Replies
So my 8 mo old dd is a terrible sleeper! We finally discovered her issue is being overly tired so she doesn't sleep well at night. So we've gone to more naps and she's only waking once at night!!!! But now she's fighting naps for dear life! We've tried blacking out the room, music/white noise, a fan, humidifier, a regular routine...the list goes on. It takes on average 30 min to get her down, and I have a toddler to take care of too, so this is hard. If we miss a nap she just gets cranky the rest of the day and wakes a lot at night.

Surely there is something else we can try to get her to take a nap more easily!! Please help with any advice you may have!!!!
Thank you!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Did you add too many naps? My DS always takes a long time to fall asleep too, so I dont worry about that. He just lays in there and talks to himself and eventually falls asleep (usually). If not, then at least he had a rest.

Briangel
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM
W/just 2 she's super cranky in the evening. But if she takes that 3rd catnap she's happier. But a problem is she will scream if I leave the room. So she wants me in sight until she falls asleep. She will only nap in her room because my toddler and dog (her nails click on the hardwood floors when she walks) and even the tv will keep her from sleeping.

Quoting brittany208:

Did you add too many naps? My DS always takes a long time to fall asleep too, so I dont worry about that. He just lays in there and talks to himself and eventually falls asleep (usually). If not, then at least he had a rest.

KawaiiLila
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Well cuddle with your toddler in her room until she falls asleep. Read to him or something to keep him quiet and not antsy.
brittany208
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM

can you give her something stuffed to snuggle? turn on some music for her quietly so she doesn't hear sounds from the rest of the house? or a noisy fan? tell her you'll "be right back" and then go in and out? (this might cause problems, but it might work if she is realllly tired.)

Quoting Briangel:

W/just 2 she's super cranky in the evening. But if she takes that 3rd catnap she's happier. But a problem is she will scream if I leave the room. So she wants me in sight until she falls asleep. She will only nap in her room because my toddler and dog (her nails click on the hardwood floors when she walks) and even the tv will keep her from sleeping.

Quoting brittany208:

itsamadfrenzy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I would turn a show on for the toddler, get them a book or set up a quiet activity for them to do while you get her down for a rest. At 8 months she isnt really going to understand if you tell her you will be right back or comfort her verbally during rest (in my opinion). I would rub her back for 5 minutes, dont talk to her, dont look and then leave the room. My son was a fighter of the nap too and never wanted to miss a thing, I just had to leave him.

I would also make sure you do the same amount of naps at the same time of day to create a routine she can follow. Good luck!! 

Briangel
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I've tried stuffed animals/dolls, and I put music on in her room, which does tune out all other sounds. I may just have to go out like you said.

Quoting brittany208:

can you give her something stuffed to snuggle? turn on some music for her quietly so she doesn't hear sounds from the rest of the house? or a noisy fan? tell her you'll "be right back" and then go in and out? (this might cause problems, but it might work if she is realllly tired.)

Quoting Briangel:

Quoting brittany208:

cory_suzanne
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Try and keep her up as long as possible during the day. Play with her alot and then at night she will sleep.
Briangel
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I am working on the toddler being more quiet. I ask him to stay in the living room and be quiet to put the baby to sleep (upstairs) then he'll yell up the stairs "mommy, where are you?" Lol. So we're working on the quiet time. He's not a cuddler, and likes to ask many questions when I read to him. So we really can't do that while trying to get dd down.

Quoting itsamadfrenzy:

I would turn a show on for the toddler, get them a book or set up a quiet activity for them to do while you get her down for a rest. At 8 months she isnt really going to understand if you tell her you will be right back or comfort her verbally during rest (in my opinion). I would rub her back for 5 minutes, dont talk to her, dont look and then leave the room. My son was a fighter of the nap too and never wanted to miss a thing, I just had to leave him.

I would also make sure you do the same amount of naps at the same time of day to create a routine she can follow. Good luck!! 

Briangel
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I've tried keeping her up. It does the opposite. She gets super cranky then doesn't sleep well at night. :(

Quoting cory_suzanne:

Try and keep her up as long as possible during the day. Play with her alot and then at night she will sleep.

itsamadfrenzy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Haha I know exactly what you mean, sounds just like my son. I try to take a five minute shower and he is in the doorway asking about everything under the sun! LOL hope you get it down, I know how frustrating it can be. Dont give up on the naps if she needs one! 

Quoting Briangel:

I am working on the toddler being more quiet. I ask him to stay in the living room and be quiet to put the baby to sleep (upstairs) then he'll yell up the stairs "mommy, where are you?" Lol. So we're working on the quiet time. He's not a cuddler, and likes to ask many questions when I read to him. So we really can't do that while trying to get dd down.

Quoting itsamadfrenzy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN