Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

What things do other parents do that annoy you?

Posted by   + Show Post

5 Annoying Things Parents of School-Aged Kids Do

Posted by Kristen Chase on February 18, 2013 

Annoying things parents doWhen my kids were little, they were with me most of the time, so for the most part, I didn't have to deal with the choices of other parents.  Hey, I'm not perfect, but I would like to think I'm pretty considerate of others. Well, most of the time, anyway. 

But now that they're all in school, it's like a constant barrage of inconsiderate behavior. Oh the annoying things parents do!

If you've got school-aged kids like me, then my guess is that you've had to deal with this as well. And while I do my best to grin and bear it, I'd really love to give these parents a piece of my mind.

1. Send sick kids to school. Yes, I know parents work (I do!), and I know that it's hard to figure out care for them if you can't take off, but seriously, if your kid has a fever or uh, HEAD LICE, you're putting other kids at risk. Keep them home!
  2. Don't follow the classroom rules. When a memo is sent that no candy is allowed for school celebrations, like Valentine's Day for example, please follow that rule. Why not feed your own kid all the Fun Dip that you sent in? Or better, I'll send my kids to your house after they've eaten it all.
  3. Let them wear costumes. Do you realize how hard I have to try to get my kids to not wear ridiculous things to school? It's a daily battle. So when you let your kid wear a Spiderman outfit to class, I get to hear all about it for weeks and weeks.
  4. Let little girls wear high heels. Call me a "fuddy-duddy" but shoes with more than an inch heel on girls that are under 10 seems to be a poor decision, not just because really? do little girls need to wear shoes like that? but it's also not safe. Please stick to the good-old Mary Janes or sneakers!
  5. Pack crazy lunches. Whether it's piles of candy or those ridiculous bento-style lunches with fancy shaped sandwiches, enough already! Cookie cutters are for cookies; not strawberries cut in pretty shapes. I'm tired of hearing how boring my sandwiches and baby carrots are.

What things do other parents do that annoy you?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
brittany208
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This! Because my LO (he's only 3.5) doesnt always understand why other kids are allowed to do things he's not. Like run around like hooligans in a restaurant. If he didn't see them, he'd be perfectly well behaved, but instead I spend the whole time hearing "but that boy can get down..." and obviously I cant say "well, bc that kid's parents arent doing their job and he's being a little brat"...

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

My big pet peeve are parents who won't be parents. The ones who allow their kids to run the house and make the rules. You know the ones right? whose kids are so rude and disrespectful you want to slap both the child and the parent for allowing it to happen? Those ones.

supermom985
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Sending sick kids to school , letting their young children run all over the neighborhood in the street with no supervision , not teaching their kids manners, letting their kids go days without a bath when they have been outside all day and them just being dirty and nasty . I can go on and on but it won't change some of the crappy parenting out there lol  

Chibi_Kitten
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Only one and two bother me. However, I'll add my own, lol.

1. Don't have any kind of routine or rules at all for their kids and complain about it. You're the parent, ENFORCE the routine and/or rules!

2. Complain about how little time they get with their kids because they're working when their kids are home from school. Here's a thought, stay home on your days off and spend those with your kids (when they get home if on school days) instead of going out with your friends every night off you have. (obviously not meant for all)

3. Being hypocrits. Don't criticize me/my parenting because my kid(s) did/do XYZ when your kid(s) did/do the same things.

I'm sure I'll have more but I'm in a good mood right now, had a pretty awesome day so don't want to think too hard about negative things. lol

ruby_jewel_04
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Maybe, just *MAYBE* I'm a snarky bitch, but I HAVE said that with in ear shot of the offending parents. I have gotten some dirty looks. And I gave them right back. :P IDGAF. Man up and BE THE PARENT.

Quoting brittany208:

This! Because my LO (he's only 3.5) doesnt always understand why other kids are allowed to do things he's not. Like run around like hooligans in a restaurant. If he didn't see them, he'd be perfectly well behaved, but instead I spend the whole time hearing "but that boy can get down..." and obviously I cant say "well, bc that kid's parents arent doing their job and he's being a little brat"...

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

My big pet peeve are parents who won't be parents. The ones who allow their kids to run the house and make the rules. You know the ones right? whose kids are so rude and disrespectful you want to slap both the child and the parent for allowing it to happen? Those ones.

brittany208
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM

lol. I never do. and i dont want to say negative things about other people in front of my DS. It's not nice manners lol. I have told him that some kids are little and they haven't learned their nice manners yet... but thats about it.

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Maybe, just *MAYBE* I'm a snarky bitch, but I HAVE said that with in ear shot of the offending parents. I have gotten some dirty looks. And I gave them right back. :P IDGAF. Man up and BE THE PARENT.

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

thenameshailie
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I hate it if I have a play date set up and the parent doesn't tell me if their kid is sick. Kids can't miss school evertime they have a cold, but they don't have to bring it to my house. One mom brought her kid over and didn't tell me she had hand foot and mouth disease because she wanted to see my newborn. Thank god my baby didn't get it or I probably would have strangled the mom. And when little kids are out alone at night or walking around the neighborhood alone during the day like hello do you care about your kid at all? Most of my pet peeves are safety issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I probably shouldn't say anything. But I figure that the parents won't realize that they are total dumb asses unless someone says something. Lol...

Quoting brittany208:

lol. I never do. and i dont want to say negative things about other people in front of my DS. It's not nice manners lol. I have told him that some kids are little and they haven't learned their nice manners yet... but thats about it.

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting ruby_jewel_04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CMac26
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I hate when they exist.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
mckelvey1225
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM
When parentslet their child constantly scream yell, or cry in a restraunt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:21 AM

1. Parents who complain about how I raise my child. If you can't deal with telling your child that you aren't going to do what _____ does for their child that isn't my fault.

2. Parents who send their sick kids to school. (It's annoying, but I wouldn't say anything to them about it, because I'm sure they have a reason)

3. Allow their children to run around at all hours without supervision. (While this annoys me, if they don't care about their kids, why should I? It's not like I can actually do anything to help the kids. it isn't illegal to allow them free reign)

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)