Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

What things do other parents do that annoy you?

Posted by   + Show Post

5 Annoying Things Parents of School-Aged Kids Do

Posted by Kristen Chase on February 18, 2013 

Annoying things parents doWhen my kids were little, they were with me most of the time, so for the most part, I didn't have to deal with the choices of other parents.  Hey, I'm not perfect, but I would like to think I'm pretty considerate of others. Well, most of the time, anyway. 

But now that they're all in school, it's like a constant barrage of inconsiderate behavior. Oh the annoying things parents do!

If you've got school-aged kids like me, then my guess is that you've had to deal with this as well. And while I do my best to grin and bear it, I'd really love to give these parents a piece of my mind.

1. Send sick kids to school. Yes, I know parents work (I do!), and I know that it's hard to figure out care for them if you can't take off, but seriously, if your kid has a fever or uh, HEAD LICE, you're putting other kids at risk. Keep them home!
  2. Don't follow the classroom rules. When a memo is sent that no candy is allowed for school celebrations, like Valentine's Day for example, please follow that rule. Why not feed your own kid all the Fun Dip that you sent in? Or better, I'll send my kids to your house after they've eaten it all.
  3. Let them wear costumes. Do you realize how hard I have to try to get my kids to not wear ridiculous things to school? It's a daily battle. So when you let your kid wear a Spiderman outfit to class, I get to hear all about it for weeks and weeks.
  4. Let little girls wear high heels. Call me a "fuddy-duddy" but shoes with more than an inch heel on girls that are under 10 seems to be a poor decision, not just because really? do little girls need to wear shoes like that? but it's also not safe. Please stick to the good-old Mary Janes or sneakers!
  5. Pack crazy lunches. Whether it's piles of candy or those ridiculous bento-style lunches with fancy shaped sandwiches, enough already! Cookie cutters are for cookies; not strawberries cut in pretty shapes. I'm tired of hearing how boring my sandwiches and baby carrots are.

What things do other parents do that annoy you?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
neptunekitty
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Parents that have little toddlers in no carseats and let them and other little kids ride in the front seat of a car.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kidz4life345
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

i only have toddlers but ppl 5th 6th and so forth graders can MAKE THEIR OWN GOSH DARN LUNCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!

KanPsMommy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:35 PM

When people send sick kids to school or bring them out in public.

Parents that don't make their kids play nice. Hello, that's a big 3 year old that just bowled over an 18 month old and has a busted nose now.

Parents that cuss around other people's children. Yes I swear when I stub my toe on the coffee table. But my DD isn't up at 3 am fixing a bottle with me, so she doesn't hear it and repeat me. She doesn't grasp why the old man beside us can say fuck but she can't. And thankfully she can't read yet or she would be scolding me for saying the ugly word than man said.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Misuse car seats
Cuss and scream at kids
Smoke around kids
KawaiiLila
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I dislike when parents let their kids run ahead of them in crowded areas like a store or amusement park or the mall. Hello!!! Your kid could get snatched up so quick it's not even funny! And then in an almost bored tone of voice they say something to the effect of , " Tyler, please stay with mommy? Stay where I can see you." As if the child is going to listen. (In some cases they do but mostly they ignore the patent)
TempestRayne
by Donna on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM
i hate that.
Quoting twade26:

I hate when parents don't propery dress their children for the weather. That is a huge pet peeve of mine. It was 30 degrees a couple weeks ago and this woman was coming out of Target the other day and she had on a hat sweater scarf and her Baby had on a long sleeve t shirt and no socks. I wanted to say something soooo bad but I didn't want to be one of those moms that critisize other mothers but boy I wanted to.

KawaiiLila
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM
I'd also like to add when I am babysitting or you kid comes over to play and dumps out a container of toys as you just walked in and you DON'T make them take the 30 seconds it would to clean up or if they were about to help clean up or stalling and now there is a huge mess in my toy room an you just wanna get home. I HATE that! Unless you have an appointment that you simply cannot miss, please make him clean up like he does at your house and I will extend to you the same courtesy.
Journeysmama11
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I hate when parents let their kids run all over. I work in a salon and a mom will come in to get her hair done and let there 2,3,4,5 yr-old or whatever run ALL over spin in the chairs and get into the equipment. People come to a salon to relax,not watch your kid cause trouble! I also hate when mom''s prop bottles. It's so sad to have to see a baby that is ignored because a parent is disengaged. Especially if a mom is not willing to or able to breastfeed that connecting with the baby is even more important!!! You can also tell when there are parent's who just sit there kid infront of the television all day because they are SO spacey-like...When your kid is 3 yrs old, they should be able to wipe their own face with a napkin...my dd was 16 months and I could hand her a napkin and say wipe your face and she did it. and I have seen kids twice her age look like you are speaking another language...but they know the spongebob theme song and the entire introduction part of mickey mouse clubhouse?!?! I don't think all tv is bad...but not all day!  

kurmom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM

It bothers me when parents can be to over-bearing. I have a friend, whos son is 16 months old. She has already purchased and planned out every birthday party up to age 5. NO JOKE. She really doesnt let him do anything for himself, she has purchased him spanish lessons, and he is barely even speaking yet. Its craziness! Also, "parents" who let other people parent for them. Geeze!

AJnEsMama
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I agree with some and the other poster about dressing your kid for the weather. But I think those bento lunches are awesome. I hope by the time my kids go to school I can make a couple. Why don't you try some other lunch ideas that aren't the same sandwhich but not bento?  Or tell your kids to start makin their own if they are going to complain once they hit a certain age. I agreed with the high heels but my dd always walks around in mine at home so I was actually thinking of getting some of those kid ones just for the house. I used to think they were ridiculous especially when I couldn't find any flat dress shoes for her once. But I can see them being fun for dress up especially for kids that keep messing up mom's shoes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)