Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Yup, my son will be gay...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
  • 77 Replies
15 moms liked this
Because he can name off the most popular My Little Pony ponies, loves having his nails painted, dresses up in my heels and carries purses, and otherwise enjoys the same things his sisters do.

On the other hand, he loves "boy things" the same, if not more. He plays with RC cars, makes paper airplanes, has miles of train tracks, is addicted to video games, and is just as much a boy as any other kid.

I've been criticized before for allowing him to do the same things as his sisters, but I don't see the reason why. There is no need at all for me to tell my little boy that he can't play dress up with his sisters. Grown men dress in drag for dares, charity events, and a zillion other reasons. This is just a little boy playing with his siblings, innocently. Rock stars paint their nails, men carry "messenger bags", etc.

If he, in the end, grows up, and decides that he is attracted to other men, I'll love him just the same. I won't go around blaming myself, either. Not for allowing him the freedom to be himself, his world, and to bond with his siblings without restraint. I don't apologize for my decision to let him be who he wants to, while guiding and watching carefully. I do, however, defend my son, who is still innocent enough to only see that his fingers looks colorful and sparkly when painted, not that he is violating the other people's perceived notions of gender roles.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ragitty
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha it's funny to me that people think allowing your son to do stuff like that is going to "make him gay." I picked ds up from daycare last year (he was 2 at the time) and he was wearing a white princess dress and "clack-clack" shoes (aka pumps) and having the time of his life. The first thing I did was snap a few pictures to commemorate the moment and then I later posted it on fb. I had people telling me I needed to switch daycares! I was like, "why?" I thought it was adorable

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw a little boy the other day at the store with blue nail polish.  He was very much a little boy.  It is dumb to think or worry about their sexuality this age.

Unoriginal.
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM
4 moms liked this

BRONY POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR

StarryRain
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
That's adorable! I think I have pictures of DS all "girly". I'll upload them when I'm done watching this movie!

Quoting ragitty:

Haha it's funny to me that people think allowing your son to do stuff like that is going to "make him gay." I picked ds up from daycare last year (he was 2 at the time) and he was wearing a white princess dress and "clack-clack" shoes (aka pumps) and having the time of his life. The first thing I did was snap a few pictures to commemorate the moment and then I later posted it on fb. I had people telling me I needed to switch daycares! I was like, "why?" I thought it was adorable

StarryRain
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Dude. I sing, "My Little Brony" to him all the time. Lmao.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

BRONY POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR

StarryRain
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Are you aware of how messed up your icon makes this post look?

Quoting Unoriginal.:

BRONY POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR

Unoriginal.
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, yes I do.

Quoting StarryRain:

Are you aware of how messed up FABULOUS your icon makes this post look?

Quoting Unoriginal.:

BRONY POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR

EmmaZate
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Way to go mama. People that flip out about "gender roles" are misguided. My brother played dolls with us... And he is straight as they come. My husband sews and mends and crotchets, but he is more manly than any man I have ever met. Hell, I work on cars more often and fix them better than half the men I know. Traditional "gender roles" are stupid
ragitty
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM
6 moms liked this

StarryRain
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Bah haha haha, I love you. So much.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

Yes, yes I do.

Quoting StarryRain:

Are you aware of how messed up FABULOUS your icon makes this post look?

Quoting Unoriginal.:

BRONY POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN