Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Roommates and toddlers.

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM
  • 9 Replies
My husband and I have been having some financial difficulties, and have been looking into moving from our nice, two story large rental into a much cheaper, apartment. Well, recently a friend of ours and our old roommate from our fun not parent days, is in need of a place to stay. He is a good guy. He parties a lot though. And I mean a lot. We have a 19month old DD. our friend would be renting the entire upstairs portion. His own bedroom living room storage space and bathroom. I need your advice and opinions on this. I have already talked to him and set ground rules for the house and people around my DD. I am so worried how this may affect my relationship and my DD. We really really need the extra money, and I don't want to move... Do you think it's inappropriate to have a "bachelor" type of guy as a room mate when you are trying to raise a family??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Courtney610
by Courtney on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I'd move before taking on a roommate like that. I don't think it's inappropriate to take on a roommate. However, if he's the partying, bringing random girls home, stumbling in at 4 am type, he's not right type of roommate.

Good luck!
KawaiiLila
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Well I guess you could see how it goes but if it turns out he's a super hot mess dump him and move. I know guys who can be appropriate around little ones, but still live the party lifestyle. Not everyone is like that though.
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Like Courtney, I'd move rather than taking on a single guy as a roommate when I'm raising a kid, especially a party animal like that.

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't want any roommates at all, especially someone that parties alot. I would only consider rooming with family if  I had to. I'd rather move to a smaller, cheaper place with no roommates, then to be in a situation where I was living with a party animal. I need my privacy and peace and quiet. I couldn't deal with that at all.

Reina13
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM

That is not the type of roommate I would want around my family. I would rather move and save money that way. You have to consider how his behavior is going to impact not only your daughter but your family unit as a whole.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Nope. Especially when you have a daughter. So double nope.
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Our only roommate right now is my FIL, so we don't have any issues. I wouldn't let a single friend move in (except my bff and that's because I know she won't do things like that). I wouldn't neccessarily call it inappropriate but I don't think it's a good idea either

MunchiesMom324
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I have a single male roommate.  However, he's in his 40s and not a party animal by any means.  Our arrangement works out really, really well... he doesn't have to work.  He helps around the house (inside stuff and outside stuff too), provides child care, etc in exchange for rent/food/etc.

Mrsmata1234
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Id yes set ground rules - I had a bestfriend move in with my who was a party animal and was constantly drunk even around my kid but in the beginning it i didnt mind she respected the rules and only got drunk the days i didnt have my kid - than when i met my husband and we all moved in together cuz she couldnt afford a place on her own, I got pregnant and the drinking was worse we started argueing and fighting and fighting with a drunk person when your pregnant isnt a good idea. So we eventually moved and i lost her as a bestfriend. So really its your own opinion if you think your strong enough to handle that type of lifestyle your roommate lives. and he can respect your house and your wishes. Cuz remember he maybe your roommate but its still your place. and if he doesnt than you know than its best you just move with your family alone. I hope that helps- B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)