Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Abstinence class in 5th grade?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

My neighbors son came home from school with a paper asking if she would give permission for him to sit in on an abstinence class. She marked no because he JUST turned 10 and he's not ready for it at all. The kid still believes in Santa for heavens sakes! After talking with other moms at the school they all felt the same way that 5th grade was too early for that. It's still elementry school! 

So is it common to start as early as 5th grade?? 

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Has she had any of the talks yet with him?  I think the earlier they can learn in an appropriate way about sexual health the less likely they will go out and try to figure out things on their own.   My mom read a book with me about 3rd grade i think it was.  I wish i hadnt lost it for when dd becomes that age.

AMR320
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We had full sex ed class in 6th grade. 10 is definitely not too young. Talks should start young, be age appropriate and continuous. Some kids start having sex as young as 12 these days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dcn2010
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Kids in middle school are getting pregnant in my area. It's sad. They're giving up their childhoods and they don't even know it. I think this would work in my area but it may vary in other places. 

crabtreemommy
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Our school taught sex Ed in 5th grade. I'm not surprised.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kbear1992
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I'm 20 turning 21 pregnant with my first with a Guy I've been with for 4 years (and that's "late" in having a baby where I'm at, the statistic is I was supposed to be pregnant at 16 lol) anywho I had an abstinence class in 5th and sex ed in 6th... I think they should do both in 5th. Look at TV commercials and movies everything is sex based now EVERYTHING. Honestly I think there should be sex ed/abstinence class in 5th grade kids are starting younger and younger (12 right now) I held out til I was 17 at least nd I'm proud of myself!
ladyraven16
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM
We had growing and changing in 5th and pur first sex ed in 7th. Growing and changing was mostly about how our bodies would change, periods,, boobs. Wet dreams erections, maaturbation etc. Aparently now, they also go over oral sex which we didn't cover until 7th grade. I started having sex at 12/13 so 10 isn't out of the question.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coupon_ash_back
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I had it early and didn't understand anyof it, plus my mom never talked about it....ever. So guess who ended up a teenage mom?

I will be talking about sex Myself, to my kid, it's not the schools place. I don't want them feeding my kids bull crap and giving them a negative outlook on sex. It's natural, it's not evil. I do prefer it be shared with someone they love.
MamaTwinkleA
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Our school taught sex ed....err kissing means babies aka puberty and abstinence in 5th grade. Yay for the midwest. We never had an actual sex ed class, it was don't have sex you'll get herpes and die.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tilly030409
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM

MY 8 year old daughter told me a story the other day that blew my mind. We were getting out of the van at the grocery story when she goes guess what I found out today. I said what....? My friend's cousin's little sister who is 10 had a baby and she tried giving her baby away but her mama told her no it was her responsibility and she had to take care of it... 

I don't know if this is a true story but it seemed a little wild for my 8 year old to make up.... IDK but either way, me and her have had the sex talk before and continue to have it any time she has questions. 

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Very well said.

I absolutely agree.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

I had it early and didn't understand anyof it, plus my mom never talked about it....ever. So guess who ended up a teenage mom?

I will be talking about sex Myself, to my kid, it's not the schools place. I don't want them feeding my kids bull crap and giving them a negative outlook on sex. It's natural, it's not evil. I do prefer it be shared with someone they love.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN