Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I don't want my children to have braids.

Gasp! Everyone acts like it is crazy that I don't want my kids to go through a huge amount of pain for a hairstyle. I keep their hair pretty basic, when they are older if they want Cornrolls or anything fancy then so be it. Being African American does not have braids as a requirement like my friends and family seem to think.

What's so bad about not wanting that? I hate seeing kids cry out in pain for the sake of looking good.
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Replies (51-58):
mom2ljh
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I agree with you. When I see little kids with tiny, tight braids, I can't help but think how much that must have hurt. I'm glad you don't do that to your babies. From another mama, thank you. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
feliciasmith
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Thanks! I just towel dry it and throw it up, which I know is awful but I dont have time to wait for it to air dry completely it would take hrs!

I'll have to try those out, what exactly is a diffuser or twist out method?

Quoting .Peaches.:

What kinds of products are you using now? How do you dry your hair?

All 3 of my DDs and I have kinky curly super thick hair. If I plan on letting them wear their loose (which isn't often) I use a special kind of towel for curly hair, and products specifically designed for curly hair. I either dry with a diffuser, or do a twist-out. Currently, my hair is in locs (dreads) so I don't have to worry about mine being frizzy.

I recommend natural products, which aren't necessarily for AA hair. Oyin is one I LOVE. Try naturally curly.com or curlmart.com, both carry tons of brands.

Quoting feliciasmith:

Maybe because your kids aren't full aa your family feels you should preserve their culture better in your kids' hair?

And I have a question :D I've been told to use hair products for aa hair because my hair is so thick and unruly, I can get it to curl nice for about 30 seconds only when it's wet. Do you use anything to keep your hair curly? (mine just frizzes up)

MomRocs1102
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM

you have boys or girls?  Ds got his first hair cut at 1, I do regret cutting his hair although i wouldn't have don't braids I'm not a huge fan of braids on boys and girls i don't mind braids i use to braid my nieces hair all the time and i never braided tight to hurt her.  What i cant stand is beads, and all the colors in girls hair.  I have just never liked it, its just to much.  There is nothing wrong with you not liking braids.

Join Adorable Ladies Group, where women can have free uncensored conversations, and discussions minus the bashing and drama. 

www.cafemom.com/group/118542

sarahjoy
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My girls have had braids from time to time... My oldest's hair is extremely thick and curly.  It makes it much easier that I don't have to do their hair every day when they have braids... the lady we have do them doesn't do them too tight.  But they cry when I just brush it.. even when trying to be gentle, they just have very tender heads lol.  So occassionally like when they have testing at school, the school 3 day camping trip or go on vacation with a family member of mine (bc they can't do their hair) they will get braids. I only leave them in for a week or two and then after I take them out the wont get them again for a few months. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:06 AM

If that is what you want then that's what you do.

I don't have a problem with either having braids or not having braids. 

wedding countdown

.Peaches.
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
A diffuser is a special hair dryer for curly hair. You can also buy a regular dryer with a diffuser attachment.

A twist out is when you put twists in you hair, let them dry them take them out.

Quoting feliciasmith:

Thanks! I just towel dry it and throw it up, which I know is awful but I dont have time to wait for it to air dry completely it would take hrs!

I'll have to try those out, what exactly is a diffuser or twist out method?

Quoting .Peaches.:

What kinds of products are you using now? How do you dry your hair?

All 3 of my DDs and I have kinky curly super thick hair. If I plan on letting them wear their loose (which isn't often) I use a special kind of towel for curly hair, and products specifically designed for curly hair. I either dry with a diffuser, or do a twist-out. Currently, my hair is in locs (dreads) so I don't have to worry about mine being frizzy.

I recommend natural products, which aren't necessarily for AA hair. Oyin is one I LOVE. Try naturally curly.com or curlmart.com, both carry tons of brands.

Quoting feliciasmith:

Maybe because your kids aren't full aa your family feels you should preserve their culture better in your kids' hair?

And I have a question :D I've been told to use hair products for aa hair because my hair is so thick and unruly, I can get it to curl nice for about 30 seconds only when it's wet. Do you use anything to keep your hair curly? (mine just frizzes up)

frankiesma530
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Braids don't have to hurt.  I never cornrowed my daughters hair except for a couple of times.  It was too much of a pain in my ass to get her to sit still.   I don't think it is a requirement.

Ladyee
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM

makes sense to me i never understood why ppl would braid a childs hair so tight. i braid and braids dont have to be scalp pulling tight to stay in andd besides theyre your kids do as you please

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)