Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

regarding doctors and nurses mistakes.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 20 Replies
HI I recently took my 15 month old daughter to get her checkup. Come to find out the doctor informs me they accidentally gave my daughter double doses of vaccination s. I feel so upset that they do not care at all about the patients care. I m just very scared of what's to come..
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saydar
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

How long ago? Did the doctor tell you what symptoms to watch for? What possible side effects would be?

angelica4685
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Happened yesterday and they said to look out for fevers and a rash .. she acted like it was nothing. I went to complain to the manager and she didn't even care..
Saydar
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

From what I understand, a double dose shouldn't hurt your daughter unless it was tetnus or unless she was going to have a negative reaction to the vaccine anyway.

I'm sorry that this happened to you. Sadly, it seems like it's pretty common. If she isn't having a reaction to it by now, she'll probably be fine. In the future, I'd question your doctor/nurses about the necessity of EVERYTHING they try to administer to your daughter. They are doctors, not gods, and you're her mother. You've got every right in the world to expect them to take time and explain things to you before you consent to anything.

angelica4685
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Yes I called three doctors to get their opinions and they said nothing to worry about .its just that I was scared and angry that theu are so careless at what they do . What if she wad 2 months ? They shouldn't be making those errors on children. And yes I learned my lesson don't trust anyone. She is my only child and shes all I got..
Rach0307
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I understand you being freaked out, even if it shouldn't affect her. I'd be pissed, lol. Thankfully, where we go, we've never had problems with the lab techs. I have, however, had an anestesiologist and a nurse make mistakes with me that were upsetting. The nurse accidentally poked herself with a needle while she was putting it in me, and it was no problem in the end, but I was freaking out and she was extremely apologetic. However, the anestesiologist punctured my deral sac which left me in excrutiating pain with a spinal headache for 3 days (until a better guy gave me a much-needed blood patch that the first guy should have done, grr), and he acted like it was no big deal and never even apologized. I know they're only human and mistakes happen, but I wish doctors would at least address your concerns with a little bed-side manner!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thenameshailie
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Its not that they don't care. It was an accident and there is nothing they can do about it now, and it didn't cause any harm. Double check from now on before they give the shot. I took my baby to get her shots and they asked if we wanted the flu shot as well and we said no and they ended up doing it anyways. They should be more careful but it happens.

.Peaches.
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this

How do you figure they don't care?

Doctors and nurses are humans too, and therefore, prone to mistakes like anyone else.

angelica4685
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Well I also work in a hospital and from what I saw and how they react shows me they don't care. I understand they are human but their job entities to be extra cautious and to be more professional. They act like they gave her a cup of water.
MomWFiveInTow
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

This happens more often than you would think and it does make me mad
I am in the nursing field and have seen it a couple times but usually it doesn't do a lot unless it's tetanus or allergic reaction
but I do understand where your coming from and it sounds like you need to find a new doc I wouldn't take disrespect from anyone about the health of your child ....... especially when it was their mistake

MomWFiveInTow
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM
yes they are human too but when they choose a profession that has other peoples lives in their hands it can be traggic ....you can't make mistakes in the healthcare feild and it's sad when it does happen because most of the time it can be prevented
Quoting .Peaches.:

How do you figure they don't care?

Doctors and nurses are humans too, and therefore, prone to mistakes like anyone else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN