Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Am i asking to much???

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my son will be turning one here in a few months. I'm starting to kinda plan his birthday party. I'm very big on birthdays, especially for my kids. My oldest is 3 and every year i make a big deal for hers. I love to celebrate the day I gave birth to them. To show off how much they have grown. To give them the spotlight for a day.

Well my DH is very different when it comes to birthdays. There no big deal to him. But he goes to them and helps me a little. But he always tells me i spend to much on decorations or things like that. He says i make there birthday about me. No I don't make it about me, i do it for my child. To celebrate them. To show them years down the road, that the day i gave birth to them, was the happiest day of my life.

So here is my problem. We are going to do a BBQ, if its nice, out at my mothers farm. We have a very large family. There will probably be 50 people there. I love my family, don't get me wrong, but i hate when some of them drink. They get loud, crazy and dont even pay attention to what there doing.

So i asked my DH today if he thinks it would be wrong if i asked in the invitation, if no one drinks. He got upset with me saying that i was being stupid. That the family always drinks at the BBQs. Well i feel that there is no reason to drink at a one year olds birthday. I don't want things getting crazy, people drunk stumbling around. Plus i dont really want to look back at pictures and see beer cans all over.

So am i wrong for asking this??What would you moms do?? And to add, i grew up with a very alcoholic family. especially my dad. I just hate alcohol period now. But i look the other way most of the time. I feel my family can respect me one day and make the day about my son and not drink. We came to the compromise to do the party early in the day, so they wont want to drink yet, but with my family, that wont stop them. Thank you laddies

toddler girlRaevynn Lynn 9-29-09baby boyRemington 5-23-12

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shadow_lark
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Would you be providing the beverages? If so, I would just buy enough that everyone of drinking age could have one. They can't whine that there wasn't any, and hopefully no one will get drunk.
I don't see anything wrong with asking people not to bring alcohol though. I agree that there is no reason to be drinking at a party for a child, BBQ or not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM
We don't do alcohol at kids parties. It's not too much to ask but expect people to bring some anyway unfortunately. :/
mommyvidana
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

just dont tell them and buy little to none and say there wasn;t much money for beer.

sashamom27159
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I would not buy any alcohol and if anyone brings i would tell them thank you but no thank you  this is an alcohol free kids party.Its about your son not the adults who cant live with out beer for a couple hours.Be strong put your foot down  

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I'm with you.
.Peaches.
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM

If you don't want drinking, then don't allow drinking. If they're going to be drinking, make it clear that they will be asked to leave. If they don't want to show up, then fine.

You're gonna have to be the one to make the point and enforce it here. Be firm in your decision, because people only do what you allow them to do.

slrsgirl
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I know how you feel. My family is the same way. I also agree with everyone else about either not supplying any or saying no alcohol in front of the kids. or put a limit on it and say like one and done or something. I think having it early in the day might help a bit too.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

My family drinks at just about every function...my baby shower was at an Elks Lodge and I remember at some point two or three people going down stairs and grabbing a beer.  It doesn't really bother anyone because no one ever drinks more than one or two... it isn't the place or time to get drunk obviously but if they wanted a drink with their food it was never a big deal.

However if your family can't have any respect and they tend to get out of control, I don't blame you for asking no one to bring any alcohol!  It's your kid's party and you should decide what you are comfortable with.  They can live without a drink for one day!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN