Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

To pre-school or not to pre-school

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 27 Replies

My dd will be four next year and should be going to pre-school I just do not see the big deal if she does not go.I am a sahm mom and I am teaching her everything she needs to know.We also take her  to a kids jump place three times a week and ballet class once a week for socialization.So whats your take on the whole pre-school thing. 

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
erin708
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I wazs debating the same thing with my oldest. I put her in 3 2 hr days a week. I think it helped her a lot. She was very smart but needed the social skills. She's in first grade now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjoy
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Alot of students I get that never went to preschool struggle just from the fact of following a routine.  I had one little boy that knew all the material but could not sit long enough to complete an assignment or follow directions when given to the whole class.  He was use to that one/one attention from his mom.  He struggled bc he couldn't handle whole class instruction.

Other than that as long as you are working with her on basics and she gets socialization thats great.  But think about when she goes to kindergarten she will be in a class of 20 or more kids (some times less but in my area usually more).  Will she be able to follow along with that many other kids around.  

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM
We don't do preschool.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vsoul0608
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I was skeptical about doing preschool with my kids as well. I did end up caving and putting DD in half way through the year last year and she LOVED it! I really thought she'd hate being away from me but she really did well. She's in Kindergarten this year and doing great. Since DD loved it so much DS really looked forward to it this year. He started at the beginning of the year and he hasn't missed a day. He goes 4 hrs a day 4 days a week and has a blast. He is extremely smart, his teacher says he's very advanced in pretty much everything and will most likely breeze through Kindergarten next year. He loves learning new things and gets so excited to tell me all about it when I pick him up. He has made a ton of friends that will move on to Kindergarten with him as well. 

They teach all kinds of cool things at his preschool (not just basics like letters, numbers, etc) They have a different theme every week and they do projects and such that are based on that theme, This week they were learning about community workers (postal workers, police, firemen etc) They made cute little cards for their parents, walked 2 blocks to the Post office and each got to mail their cards home. I got DS's on Thursday and it was soo adorable! It's proudly being displayed on my fridge. He brings home of the coolest projects (at Christmas they made snowglobes out of upside down babyfood jars... I'll confess even though it was a Christmas decoration, it's still on my shelf! I love it!) 

It's really a personal choice whether to send your child or not since it's optional and I really didn't see myself sending my children but I'm so happy I did as they enjoy it sooo much! 

sashamom27159
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

bump

sashamom27159
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Quoting PeaceMuch:

We don't do preschool.

Is there a specific reason why you choose not to 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Well we couldn't afford it for one. And we made too much for head start. And I just decided to teach them preschool stuff at home. My son is in kindergarten now and has adjusted fine. He does have learning disabilities but he tries very hard and always does what needs to be done. Preschool wouldnt have changed much imo for him. My youngest will be going into kindergarten this fall and can do all the work my older son brings home with ease.

Quoting sashamom27159:

Quoting PeaceMuch:

We don't do preschool.

Is there a specific reason why you choose not to 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

My son did two years of pre-school before kindergarten and I'm glad we did it. He has had absolutely no problems adjusting to the rules and structure of class and he loves being with his friends. 

.Peaches.
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My oldest two didn't go to preschool. Where I live, your kids have to take an assesment test. Both of my oldest girls scores were too high to get into pre-school. I have a DD who's turning 4 in Aug, and she won't be able to get into pre-school because of when her birthday is.

I don't see the big deal about it. My oldest girls are doing just fine in school.

Snapdragon88
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I'm also a SAHM and looove teaching my son all kinds of things. He's a quick learner and a smart boy. He's ahead of his class in most things... like for the first half of the year they were learning letters and numbers and he's known those for a VERY long time.... I was already teaching him to read and add, lol.

BUT... I'm glad I decided to send him to preschool. He is incredibly social and it really is good for him to learn how the school thing goes before he enters Kindergarten for a full day. They only do pre-K for 3 hours a day... I think it eases them into Kindergarten so it isn't so overwhelming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)