Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Officially deemed a bad mom

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:40 AM
  • 43 Replies

Poll

Question: Should we take her to the ER? *Explain answer in comments"

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 38

View Results

My 7 month old fell off the bed technically crawled off the bed.. Head first. Carpeted floor. I tried to catch her but I was to late. I picked her up but her father took her away from me. She cried for a while. I really didn't get to be near her. OH's Sister,mother and brother in law was here so they all took her . They put her to sleep 20 mins later because she was sleepy. They all think im a bad mother including OH.

She woke up an hour later and ate but im still paranoid. I'm afraid she may have gotten really hurt. Shes extremly fussy now. I don't want to wake up and find out shes dead. Not even sure I want to sleep. 

OH, his sister and mother said not to take her to ER. 

I FEEL HORRIBLE!!

*Edit* Fall was aprox. 2 foot

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:42 AM

who is oh? Is that the father?  Why would they call you a bad mom if they were playing keep away with the baby?  I would have clawed out eyes if they did not let me near baby when she fell.   My dd has fallen like that as an infant and we didnt take her to ER.  I just held her and tracked her eye movement.

CorrineW88
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:45 AM

OH is father. Other half. They made me feel horrible. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

who is oh? Is that the father?  Why would they call you a bad mom if they were playing keep away with the baby?  I would have clawed out eyes if they did not let me near baby when she fell.   My dd has fallen like that as an infant and we didnt take her to ER.  I just held her and tracked her eye movement.

CarlyK23
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Everyone has somthing like this happen at some point! You're not a bad mom. If you're worried take her in. If not let her be. Fellow your instincts! 

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I turned my back for 30 seconds and splat she fell nearly 2 feet to the carpeted floor.   I wouldnt listen to them since they kept her from me.  I am serious.  To me that is the most disrespectful you can get and you will walk away with burning ears or new bruises.

Quoting CorrineW88:

OH is father. Other half. They made me feel horrible. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Sammi20
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Aww it's not your fault babies do that. My dd did it 3 times And I watched her like a HAWK they just give one good push and bam fly off the bed. Babies skulls are WAY less likely to get a concussion than an adult because their brains lay right up against their skulls and aren't fused yet. Adults get concussions because our brains have a little space between them and the skull were they can bounce and have a worse impact. I'm sure she is fine just make sure her eyes are dialating and she isn't running a fever or anything. You are not a bad mother and don't let everyone make you feel like you did something wrong. Take your baby and tell them to shove it!

TempestRayne
by Donna on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM
you are not a bad mom. Stuff like that happens to everyone. Seriously. Even your Holier than thou MIL has had something like that happen to her at some point in her children's early days and years. Babies are built withstand things like this BECAUSE they are so common and happen to EVERY CHILD.
FoxTales
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I think this has happened to every mom... You are not a bad mother, but they are certainly not the best of people to tell you that! My goodness. Also, why did they put her to sleep...? Are you not supposed to wait a little while and see if they are following eye motions for while and make sure they aren't sick etc? Anyway, that just goes to show they don't know everything, and you're certainly not a bad mother.

Don't let them bring you down... And ftr, I would be livid if they didn't let me near my own child at any time, never mind when she was hurt!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sissy852
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Stuff like that happenes. My son has done it multiple times. But why did they lay her down they should have kept her up a couple hours to make sure everything is ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VictoriousTory
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM

agree with everyone else, you are NOT a bad mom honey!!!!!!! My son has fell off the couch a few times... AS I was not even a foot away watching him!! A couple times I have caught him but the other times I just didn't get there in time.... it happens... they are mad or scared for a little bit but they get over it... He once had a huge bruise on his head from smacking into the fishtank :( He was ok. If they really thought you were such a bad mom and suspected a concussion the last thing they should have done was put her down for a nap. By the way, if she woke up from the nap fine, nothing is wrong with her and you don't have to worry so much tonight. She might have a headache or a bruise or something but I am sure nothing is seriously wrong. Give her some tylenol or motrin and if that doesn't help then take her in. She prolly just got really scared. 

New.OrleansLady
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Just watch her. If she vomits or her pupils won't react then take her. If she's " normal" it's ok 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)