Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Birth control *vent*

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM
  • 20 Replies

So, I am very frustrated! I went to the doctor yesterday to get my Implanon taken out and decided I would go back on the birth control I was originally on over three years ago, Ortho TriCyclen Lo.  I loved this pill. I had to switch to a generic pill (Tri-Sprintec - that made me crazy and wasn't the right one) when I was still on my dad's insurance because his would not cover Ortho Tri lo.  Yesterday, I realized why they wouldn't cover it. I PAID ALMOST $50 WITH INSURANCE!! Gah!!  Now I have really good insurance (Federal Employee Program) and I never expected for it to be that much.  Maybe $25-$30, but NOT $50. I called my insurance company and they confirmed that they paid 55% of it (so it was over $100 total). She also said that since part of ObamaCare was implemented this year, it does not cover as much on Name Brand medications, and there is not a generic for Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo (of course..).

Has anyone else been in this situation?? If so, did you stick with Ortho Tricyclen Lo or did you switch to a cheaper/different birth control? 
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I used to take Nuvaring without insurance and the cost was worse than that... I'm pregnant now, but after baby comes I want to do NFP. for several reasons, money included.

Mom2five87
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what we will be doing too. I am so done with hormonal bc. Just the thought of going through the ridiculousness of trying to find the right bc makes me cringe. lol. I've had the IUD, nuva ring, pill, patch, shot, etc. Everything except Implanon. And it either doesn't work (nuva ring) or it gives me horrible side effects... so yeah.... NFP for us!

OP, if it is that important for you to be on that specific pill just pay the out of pocket cost. I know it sucks but I also know how different types of bc can mess with your mind and body so if that is the one that works for you, I'd say stick with it.

Quoting brittany208:

I used to take Nuvaring without insurance and the cost was worse than that... I'm pregnant now, but after baby comes I want to do NFP. for several reasons, money included.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

KawaiiLila
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM
What is nfp?

Quoting Mom2five87:

This is what we will be doing too. I am so done with hormonal bc. Just the thought of going through the ridiculousness of trying to find the right bc makes me cringe. lol. I've had the IUD, nuva ring, pill, patch, shot, etc. Everything except Implanon. And it either doesn't work (nuva ring) or it gives me horrible side effects... so yeah.... NFP for us!

OP, if it is that important for you to be on that specific pill just pay the out of pocket cost. I know it sucks but I also know how different types of bc can mess with your mind and body so if that is the one that works for you, I'd say stick with it.

Quoting brittany208:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2CXh
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I was like that with my anti seizure/ migraine meds. The amount I took in a month cost without insurance about $600 and I had to pay about $75 and I was on my dads insurance and he works for the state. And there was no generic at the time. I had to suck it up bc it was the only one that worked as long as it did. If it works for you and is important I would just deal with the monthly cost :( wish they paid more for preventive meds
Mom2five87
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Natural Family Planning. You basically just track your ovulation and avoid sex during that time.

Quoting KawaiiLila:

What is nfp?

Quoting Mom2five87:

Quoting brittany208:

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

k.stark
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am done with hormaonal BC it has been terrible for me.... I have gone with a diaphragm now which is great... it's not 100% but that with some nfp I'm happy with my choice... I had to pay out of pocket for it and my office visit to get fitted.... but total it cost 160 bucks and as long as it shows no signs of wear I don't have to buy another one...... "they" recommend using a spermicide but I heard some women have horrible side effects from it and also it isn't really any more effective than just wearing it all the time and taking it out in the shower to clean in and then reinsert it... 

erin708
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM
If something works for me I will pay for it. Have u ever tried kariva? Its the generic for mircette. I can't handle most pills but this one I felt pretty good on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snglemomto1grl
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I have a nuvaring baby... I read about the side effects of the implant, I'm too scared to get it.

KimTaylor76
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:51 AM
I used to go to Planned Parenthood to get my birth control because at the time I didn't have insurance, they gave me that same one for $18 a month. I hated it though, I can't handle the hormones, I get terrible mood swings and cry every night. I did that for a year then I got mad and just threw them out lol aaaaand that's when my son came in lol.
leinaala09
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM
I have never heard of kariva or mircette. can you tell me more about it?

Quoting erin708:

If something works for me I will pay for it. Have u ever tried kariva? Its the generic for mircette. I can't handle most pills but this one I felt pretty good on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)