Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Criticism

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM
  • 15 Replies

How do you deal with criticism? I've received a lot of miscellaneous and random criticism lately..  and I've noticed that being a mom everyone has an opinion and wants to weigh in on everything. Even the sample lady at Costco lectured me the other day about something trivial. What do you say to people? How do you deal with it afterward... because I feel like people think I'm an awful mom or something.

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
villagemamma
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM

For the most part when i know people are coming for a good place and truly are just trying to help i tend to grin and bare it, But when someone is being flat out rude, judgemental, or making assumptions thats a different story. I am pretty quick to tell people when they are being rude and overstepping.

nstroble
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I totally agree with that. Especially if it is coming from someone with a respectable amount of wisdom or experience, accepting criticism can be beneficial!

villagemamma
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My mother is the perfect example. Even though it bugs me so much sometimes i really do appreciate her opinions. She had 5 kids so i know she knows a thing or two about them :P. Nothing irritates me more then people with no kids trying to put in their two cents lol.

Quoting nstroble:

I totally agree with that. Especially if it is coming from someone with a respectable amount of wisdom or experience, accepting criticism can be beneficial!

CafeMom Tickers
funhappymom
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Why would the costco lady go off on you?

brittany208
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry this probably isn't helpful, but I really don't get criticism.... My MIL sometimes offers suggestions/gives me pamphlets she gets at her work to be helpful... Nothing thats actually helpful to me, but I know her heart is in the right place so I just say thank you and drop them in the recycling when I get home.

Courtney610
by Courtney on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I ignore it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrsmata1234
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I think i deal with constructive criticism well, but some people disguise criticism as just being batley judgemental and rude.. that of which i dont handle well at all and can come off very bitchy. I dont mind if people give me there opinion in a nice why. For example. How to dress my daughter? People can say Oh i wouldn't dress my daughter like that she looks ugly or something that is judging my ability as a mother to dress my own daughter I hate that.. But if  was presented in a nice manner like oh your daughter looks cute, but do you think she should be wearing that, it may cause people to think this or that.. Than im totally fine with that.. I guess it all depends on the person criticizing..

nstroble
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Quoting funhappymom:

I was just giving my 8 month old a tiny piece of my samples.. I gave him a tiny piece of the cereal and she said 'oh don't give him that" and my husband let him have some of the coconut water and she said "he doesn't need that!" and then he spilled it on himself and she said "he's going to get a cold if you don't put a bib on him" .. I just kind of laughed it off and said "ok" to everything she said but it was a bit annoying.

I'm not a neglegent  mother. I'm trying to teach him to self feed and he's interested in eating everything we eat. I've done my reasearch and I know what I'm doing.. but I felt like it would have been rude and disrespectful on my behalf to talk back to her and say all of that.

TempestRayne
by Donna on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM
in that case, you should have thanked her for her concern and told her you are more capable of making appropriate decisions for your child than she is.
Quoting nstroble:

funhappymom
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Ugh, people like her should mind their business.

Quoting nstroble:

Quoting funhappymom:

I was just giving my 8 month old a tiny piece of my samples.. I gave him a tiny piece of the cereal and she said 'oh don't give him that" and my husband let him have some of the coconut water and she said "he doesn't need that!" and then he spilled it on himself and she said "he's going to get a cold if you don't put a bib on him" .. I just kind of laughed it off and said "ok" to everything she said but it was a bit annoying.

I'm not a neglegent  mother. I'm trying to teach him to self feed and he's interested in eating everything we eat. I've done my reasearch and I know what I'm doing.. but I felt like it would have been rude and disrespectful on my behalf to talk back to her and say all of that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)