Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think? Piog

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:42 AM
  • 8 Replies
So, today most of my family went out shooting. My daughter was in the car the entire time everyone was shooting. Well after everyone was done we were showing her the gun. Well, I have a picture of my daughter with her dad and I hold a gun and I have people freaking out about it. First of all, the bolt was taken completely out before we took it anywhere near her, it was locked, and not to mention unloaded.
Personally, I don't see a problem with having my child; soon to be children; around firearms. I figure, start teaching them at a young age about gun safety and reduce the risk of them not knowing anything about it in the future and someone getting hurt. I want them to know about all of it before we ourselves own guns. Where we live we are unable to own any but almost everyone on my dads side of the family owns at least one, and most of our friends own a lot. They are always locked away, unloaded and locked.
Do you see any problem with a child who is well supervised at all times being around a firearm?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
thenameshailie
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM
We aren't shooters at all and I wasn't raised around guns, but I personally wouldnt let my kid near a gun until they were least a teenager if they had any desire to shoot things. I know a lot of people that teach their kids to use guns as toddlers. I think its insane, but I guess if you use safety precautions and hop e there are no accidents.... Its your kid.
cheriem86
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Personally, I don't know anything about guns. We do not own guns, and neither does anyone in my family. So I would not want ky children anywhere near a gun. Your family is different, though, and I think that's fine if that works for you. People just like to judge what they do not understand.
leebees_mama
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM

First, how old is your daughter? In my opinion, no I don't think you did anything wrong, especially if guns are a big part of your family I feel you are totally right about teaching gun safety early on. She is going to be around them the rest of her life, she will probably be involved in shooting with the family I assume, so yeah, educate. That is the problem with our society, not only with guns, with everything, is that people are not educated. And besides, she is YOUR daughter, do what you want and what you feel is right for her. Only you know that.

ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO ADD- Me and my family are not avid gun users. Honestly, only my dad's side of the family even has guns, and I've never even been around them (the guns). If I ever had to use one, for safety or whatever, I'd have no clue what to do. So it's not like I am a gun enthusiast pushing my guns on everyone. Just wanted to put that out there.

TempestRayne
by Donna on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM
how old is your daughter?
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Not something we would have done and truthfully, DH & I probably would have rolled our eyes at the picture but we wouldn't have said anything to you about it. Not my kid.

We don't like guns and feel they have absolutely no place near kids.

Tiffany.Rose
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
She is almost 2 and guys are a big part of our lives and family.
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM
DH's family has always been big on guns...he was raised with it and was taught proper safety and such as early as he can remember. We have been drilling the same safety rules with our kids since they were little even though their exposure to guns has been minimal. Better to learn early and know how to properly handle one if they come in contact with one than to be curious and ignorant, IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaideBug
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:01 AM
If guns are a big part of your life then teaching her to respect them at a young age sounds like a good idea to me. We aren't "gun people" so it wouldn't happen with my kiddos.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)