Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Starting Baby Food

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM
  • 13 Replies

My baby is 6 months now and he has been eating 1 "meal" (baby food) a day since he was just over 4 months old. He tried to eat my celery stick with peanut butter so I smushed up a little piece of my avocado and he make a "why the heck did you give that to me" face and on the second bite he loved it. I wanted to EBF for a year, but DH was all like, "I was eating mashed potatoes at 3 months and drinking coffee with milk at 1 year." And I was like, "that's why you're a 6 foot 7 inch giant, ya big lug nut." So inconclusion, baby loves sweet potatoes and peaches, and Mommy chasing Daddy around with a fork screaming "I'm gonna deflate that big head of yours as soon as I catcha!" Seriously, he laus his little baby butt off anytime Mommy overexagerates things.

So when did you start giving LO baby food? What did you start with? What are LO's favorites?

eating

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aprilbutterfl92
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:40 AM
We started oatmeal at 3mo.

And 4mo I started feeding her 1"meal" 2-3x a week, she just turned 5mo and I will try to give her baby food 1x a day and once she's 6mo 2x a day...

So far she's had: peaches , peas , apples, sweet potatoe and loves all of them. I mix her baby food with oatmeal
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mlogsdon
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:44 AM
My son is 19 months and still working on baby food. He has delays. His favorites at first were sweet potatoes and anything I had ;-) if it comes from my plate, it's better than what's in front of him lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM
My 7mth (almost 8mth old).self feeds at dinner now & then. Only since she turned 7mths. shes had chunks of banana, avocado, pear, some pork, chicken, broccoli & asparagus. Other than that she gets only breast.milk, no purees & absolutely no infant ”cereal”.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShireeCS
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Dd is almost 8 so it's been a while for me but here is a bump for you
srm8824
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I wanted to exclusively breastfeed until a year, too.

DS had a different agenda. I assumed that when he was grabbing at my food and showed an interest that it was time to share a LITTLE bit of fruits and veggies with him. He mostly breastfed but I would also share some food with him when I ate. It was more about including him in dinner rather than him actually getting his primary nutrition from food. He was about 9 months and we started with avocado, never did cereal, just fruits and veggies... I also waited until he could feed himself. I never did baby food.

Mom2Just1
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 7:58 AM
We don't introduce solids until 6 months and they get very little solids until a year. We breastfeed so their nutritional is mainly from that .
VictoriousTory
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:18 AM

We made our own baby food when Boog was little.... he loved everything... sweet potatoes, butternut squash, broccoli,carrots,  apples, pears, bananas, he LOVVVVEEDDDD mangos.. after 6 months months we introduced him to greek yogurt and he loved that with infant oatmeal and apples/mangos/pears... and it saved us a lot of money... we would make big batches and freeze some of it... after a year we introduced him to meats and cheeses and stuff we ate.. Now getting him to eat anything is a chore :) He will have a couple of bites and then just start throwing it everywhere... Ahh... the terrible 2's have started early with this one :) We can't feed him a real meal for lunch only snacks or he wont eat dinner at all.... and we have to feed him before we eat or he doesn't want to eat... Its turned into a science lol 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM
6 months. He loved green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, spinach, apples, peaches..I made all the baby food myself. :)
Nicoles2LilRams
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Cereal at 4 months, jarred food not long after that, cheerios and other solids around 7 months.

But I still BF through all that as well. 

LoveonHollySt
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My DD started at 4 months with sweet potatoes and applesause.

My DS started at 2.5 months with mashed potatoes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN