Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Thoughts......

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 18 Replies

So I ran across this article on FB and I was actually quite suprised by it because the majority of the time you are always reading things spoken SO highly of breastfeeding.  I am 34 weeks pregnant with my 3rd son and I just found myself relating to SO many things in this article.  Because with my first 2 sons I struggled with the breastfeeding thing.  Neither of them got the "latch on" thing and so I ended up only pumping a VERY short while with my first and than for quite a bit longer with my second.  But I have kind of been dreading having to go through it again with this one.  Because my fiancee doesn't get up in the middle of the night and help me out, I am left to deal with things through the night by myself.  And I remember very clearly with my second one, I would wake with him, change his diaper, give him a bottle (of pumped breast milk and supplement with formula), get him back to sleep, and then I would have to take how ever long it took to pump more breast milk.  Even though I was SO exhausted and just wanted to be able to go back to sleep right after I got him back to sleep.  Now, I did it because it was the most beneficial thing for him but I really just connected with a lot of the things that were said in this article.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/152925/6_reasons_i_hated_breastfeeding

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

It is up to you for the decision on how to feed your children.  I would be upset that my guy did not get up to help at all.   I nursed dd 96% of time and she got formula if i was sick (in hospital) or i did not have enough pumped when i was out running errands and she was at home hungry.

crochetmommy88
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM

My fiancee never helped with any of the kids when they were really small.  He is not the most pleasant person to disturb when he is sleeping.  So rather than deal with the headache and stress of having him cursing and yelling at the baby, on top of the stress I already deal with (especially when having a newborn), I just find it easier to do it all myself.

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM
My first was allergic to breastmilk (and soy and pretty much every other thing we could give him, he ended up on hypoallergenic formula but he still threw it up most of the time) and I remember being made to feel like the worst parent because I wasn't breastfeeding. I felt like I failed as a parent and it was a very hard moment for me.

I had to realize that it doesn't work for everyone and I had tried everything I could (I cut a lot of stuff from my diet but nothing worked).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicoles2LilRams
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone is different.  I loved breastfeeding my boys.  I had different challenges both times in the beginning, but but after a month or so it just got easier and easier.

I think that the whole BF/FF thing is out of hand.  You do what's right for you and your family, the end. 

ChocolateJunky
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I'm to the point now where I'm ready to stop nursing dd, BUT she's not. We tried a bottle of formula, I left the house and everything, and she wouldn't take it. I would have given her expressed milk, but she's always nursing so I really don't get an opportunity to pump. I'm just to the point now where I just want a couple of hours to myself. Unfortunately, that will have to wait until dd is ready to stop. I just keep reminding myself that I'm doing this for her.

ETA: She will be 6 months in a couple of weeks.

AliKatAK47
by Alicia on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I never had to do it but I don't think I would even try if I could. My breast are super sensitive as it is and the wrong touch can have me in pain. I don't even like for my SO to touch/lick/suck on them because it hurts and I will push him away. I could only imagine the sheer pain and resentment I would have towards a baby latched on to them.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM
2 moms liked this
*shrugs* I've always loved breastfeeding, we've never had any issues. Cosleeping is a lifesaver for breastfeeding moms who have babies that frequently wake at night. I'd be more dreading of having to wake up and make bottles than to roll over and pop a boob in baby's mouth.
This doesn't sound like a feeding method problem, you just have a man who has no problems making babies but will only help when it's convenient for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crochetmommy88
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Baby_Avas_Momma, I couldn't agree more with your comment about my man.  I know that sounds awful but there has been a lot that I have put up with and gone through with him and no one understands why I did.

Nicoles2LittleRams, I definitely agree as well.  When I wasn't able to get my second son to "latch on" I would just pump and he would get it in a bottle.  I figured that whether he was getting it through the bottle or through the breast the fact that he was getting at all was what I thought was important.  But I was quite blown away by how I was looked at and treated, even by the lady I met with in the hospital a couple days after my son was born.  It was like because I wasn't "latching him on" than I was doing it all wrong or something.

chrtymcdnl
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I breastfed my dd for 14 months. One of the best things I have ever done. If it was easy, all women would do it. But it's anything but easy. 

MamaPeanut
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I could just never do it, it's not for me and I would never be comfortable.

Each person is different and each family has a unique dynamic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)