Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

parenting..

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 9 Replies
Does anyone watch supernanny? Do those time outs actually work? When do u draw the line between a spanking and a time out? What age do
U start discipline? What age do u start to explain that certain things arnt ok and to get them to understand? I will be a first time mom in sep. Do i need to take a parenting class?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I would highly suggest a parenting class so that you can learn all your options.  Time outs we started about a year old with the british supernanny way and still use it today when we are not home.  DD is 7.  The proper time out included explaining that the action the child made was not ok.  We very rarely spank since it really doesnt teach anything other than mommy and daddy were scared.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Different things work for different kids. Redirection and distraction work really well until the child is able to understand right from wrong and make a choice, which I think is usually about age three. At that point timeouts, some redirection, and positive reinforcement typically work. I reserve spankings for repeated dangerous behaviors or lying. That's just what I've learned keeps the balance in our home.

You'll learn what works for your child. Congratulations btw, on the pregnancy.
villagemamma
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Exactly this

My daughter was easily distracted up until age three after that she required an explanation as to why she wasnt allowed to do certain things. For the most part thats good enough for her but sometimes when she decides to do it anyway she gets a time out.

Im not opposed to spanking but for my daughter especially at this age its not nessesary. Go with your momma instincts and judge the situation to decide the severity of the punishment.

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Different things work for different kids. Redirection and distraction work really well until the child is able to understand right from wrong and make a choice, which I think is usually about age three. At that point timeouts, some redirection, and positive reinforcement typically work. I reserve spankings for repeated dangerous behaviors or lying. That's just what I've learned keeps the balance in our home.

You'll learn what works for your child. Congratulations btw, on the pregnancy.

CafeMom Tickers
felicia0387
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:09 AM
1 mom liked this

A parenting class would be a nice place to start, but understand that's another persons view on how they think it should be done. You just really have to follow your gut and see what things work for you. Some parenting ways don't work for everyone. I have a 3 year old son and a 1 month old daughter, and i am a big disciplinary with my son. I spank because it works best with him, but i also explain why he is getting spanked, and i think there is a difference in spanking and beating. I started disciplining at 10 months, like telling him no and smacking hands enough to get attention, but again i always tell him why he is getting in trouble. Not everyone agrees with how i discipline my child, and you will find that most people wont and almost everyone has an opinion on how to do it and will think they are right. As a first time mom you will make mistakes, you just have to roll with it. As long as baby is in one piece, then damn i think your doing OK. Just follow your gut, and remember no one dose everything the same, and someone Will always think there way is better! hope that was helpful.

k9l1c5
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I have watched bits and pieces of supernanny but not alot to really know what her parenting style. I would take a parenting class if you feel you need one.
StarryRain
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I think parenting classes can be helpful, but I suggest doing your own research, and finding what works best for your cold and your morals and your life as time goes on. You won't have to worry about discipline and such for almost the first year, really. Use the time to read, talk, ask, etc.
jojo_star
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I don't watch that, but yes, time outs worked beautifully for my son. We do not and never have spanked our children. I started discipling my son when he was about 18 months, telling him no, removing him from a situation or object he wasn't allowed to be in or have. I just told him and repeated myself, and did time outs. He's 11 now, and a great kid. My others are 14, 15, and 16, and with them, it was a learning curve, because the 14 year old is my stepson, and the other two are my niece and nephew that we are raising, so they were a bit older when I became their mom, but it just took patience, lots of patience, and time to get through to them, and figure out how to discipline have grown kids. And again, we've never spanked, and all 4 of our kids are wonderful people. 

armyvet06
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I do timeouts the way supernanny does it for the most part. We started at a year old. She stays in time out for 2 min since she is 2 years old. But her timer does not start until she is quiet.
brittany208
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I do watch it, and I followed her methods more when my DS was younger, but not really so much anymore. Its definitely a good method, we just dont follow it exactly. 

Timeouts really do work for my DS. we started them when he was between 18mo and 2yrs. At first he didnt understand that he had to stay, so instead of continually putting him back in Supernanny-style, I just blocked him in the corner with an armchair. Putting him in a pack and play would accomplish the same purpose. I started doing one minute per age, but now, since DS usually gets them for whining or not listening... he just stays in there until he is ready to calm down/ask with his nice manners/do what I asked him to do. So he isn't in them very long AT ALL. Like, 30 seconds before he realizes time-out stinks, I should probably just listen.

We do spank, but we save it for serious offenses. Like the ONE time he tried to run in a parking lot. You better believe he didnt try that again. We also give a spank for hitting. A lot of people don't agree with this--because in some kids spanking teaches them that hitting is okay, but it works for us. I have seen DS get frustrated and raise his hand to hit me, remember that he gets a spank if he does that, and give me a pat instead. Because he knows his actions have consequences.

You explain that things arent okay from birth... I don't remember what age they start to understand.

Parenting classes can be very, very helpful. I personally didn't take them, but I read pretty much EVERY book in the library on parenting techniques and how to deal with different problems. So I could proactively parent in a way that would help avoid problem behaviors down the road, instead of trying to figure out how to deal with discipline problems after the fact.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)