Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Kids and fishing.

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 8 Replies
My kids received fishing poles from their grandparents. My husband and I know very little about fishing. I know I need to get them a tackle box with hooks, bait and probably some other stuff. Anyone want to help me figure out what all I need? I just want the basics, until we figure out if this is something they will actually enjoy.

(If it makes a difference, they will mostly be fishing for trout in this area.)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mlogsdon
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I've gone fishing with my dad... But I have no idea lol. Fishing pole, bait and hooks are about it. I know some people are really good with lures and know which lures work for which fish. Also a bobbin thingy to float and hold the line in place?

You guys could always go to an outdoor store and talk to the salespeople. Whenever I go to cabellas they give me alllll kinds of info :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM
That's true. We have a Bass Pro Shop about 25 minutes away. I'll have to see if we have any local independently owned places.

Quoting mlogsdon:

I've gone fishing with my dad... But I have no idea lol. Fishing pole, bait and hooks are about it. I know some people are really good with lures and know which lures work for which fish. Also a bobbin thingy to float and hold the line in place?

You guys could always go to an outdoor store and talk to the salespeople. Whenever I go to cabellas they give me alllll kinds of info :)
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Definitely find a local bait shop and ask for the basics. For instance, do you need floats, worms, powerbait, etc.? They'll give you done quick tips and help you set the poles up. Take a picnic breakfast and make a morning of it. Don't worry about buying a ton of stuff yet.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I haven't gone fishing in sooo long. Me & df were actually talking about going to get our fishing licenses the other day. I hope we actually do it, I'm excited to get outdoors and possibly get some fish to eat for dinner too.

Nicoles2LilRams
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

You don't need a ton unless you'll be going a lot.

Bobbers are good for kids, because they can see when they've got a bite.  Other than that... just some bait for your first few times. 

If they get into it, then yes, reels, different weight lines, lures, rods, etc etc etc!

MMerrill
by Melissa on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Probably should just use worms instead of artificial bait because to have to constantly reel and jerk to make it look "alive."  Get them some bobbers and hooks.  Something to cut the line incase it gets caught and a net to make getting the fish out of the water easier.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

ASLmommy89
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I just got my 5 yr old daughter a fishing pole and a tackle set for Easter. She loves fishing. For kids, all you really need is a pole, line, hooks, and bait. I also got her a fishing net for catching minnows for bait. I got all this at walmart for cheap. (Kids dont need the most expensive equipment especially if they're beginners). You definitely need to learn how to untangle line and reel it in without getting it tangled up lol Good luck! And have fun :-)

AleaKat
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I've fished a ton but never for trout sooo bump

Brim fishing might be an easier task for kids

Just a pole, a line, a hook, a cork and a worm or cricket and wait
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)