Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Sex Education in Public School? ***EDITED- another question***

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: Should Sex Education be taught in public schools?

Options:

Yes- studies show formal sex education can lower the teen pregnancy rate.

No- sex education is meant for families to discuss, it's not up to the school system to decide when our children should learn about any of this!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

Good Afternoon Ladies :) 

I'm working on an ethics essay on the topic of whether or not sex education should be taught in public schools. So what is your opinion? Yes...no...why or why not? 

Keep in mind that when I say sex education, that also includes covering the function of reproductive organs, etc. not just the dirty deed. 

***PLEASE don't let this turn into an argument. It's only for a paper. THANK YOU in advance!!! ***

***If you believe it should be covered in school, at what age do you feel it is best?***

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm torn. I don't think it should be up to the state to teach about sex, but a surprising amount of parents don't teach their children about development or sex.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NorseGodessMom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

one of my fondest memories from high school is my health teacher telling us it condoms don't work and they even say that on the condom so i wiped one out of my backpack ( I had one because we i was that girl you could ask for condoms and I'm proud of that fact) and read what was written on it. It was AWSOME!

StarryRain
by Rain on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a strong believer that sex education is crucial, but from a strictly scientific and accurate, nonbiased point of view. Age appropriate, as well. Sadly, I've seen firsthand that some parents are incapable of handling proper sexual education, leaving children fully unprepared, like a little girl bleeding into her undies and washing them in the sink because no one explained her period to her. But children also need individual guidance, because sex is personal, and relative to the person in question, each time. No one views sex exactly the same as anyone else.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it definitely should be taught in schools! I feel like there would be way more kids being curious on their own without the classes... raising the chance of teen pregnancy.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
That's why i'm so torn. In a perfect world, every child would learn about their body and human sexuality from an early age from people who have their best interests at heart. But there are so many parents who neglect that aspect of development.

Quoting StarryRain:

I'm a strong believer that sex education is crucial, but from a strictly scientific and accurate, nonbiased point of view. Age appropriate, as well. Sadly, I've seen firsthand that some parents are incapable of handling proper sexual education, leaving children fully unprepared, like a little girl bleeding into her undies and washing them in the sink because no one explained her period to her. But children also need individual guidance, because sex is personal, and relative to the person in question, each time. No one views sex exactly the same as anyone else.
MissAlly89
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally think I should teach my kids about sex; I'll give him/her REAL information, like abortion vs adoption. They don't teach that in schools (or at least they didn't when I was in school).

wulfeyes05
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom had the sex talk with me when I was five...I asked and she explained. Then we went through sex Ed. I didn't get pregnant until I was out of high school and married. I don't really know which helped me more. I guess I would say my mom talking to me honestly probably helped me understand more. I plan on giving my kids the talk when they are old enough or ask.

kbear1992
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Well the thing is I grew up with just my dad... And he never ha the sex talk with me only with my brother. And to be honest I would have been way to embarrassed to ask my dad as a teen girl about periods and sex and boys and babies and stds lol even though it was weird to learn about it in 6th grade I think it should actually be taught in 5th... Girls here in so cal are starting to have sex at the age of 12-13... Really?? But that's besides the fact. I'm just saying what about the opposite gender that only have one parent? They aren't going to feel comfortable talking with their mom/dad as a teen boy or girl about how their "stuff" works
jojo_star
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it should be. Parents clearly aren't doing the job, and society pays the price for teens having kids or contracting STD's, 9 times out of 10 from sheer stupidity and lack of education. So yes, comprehensive sex education (NOT abstience, since that has been proven time and again to NOT work) should be taught in public schools.

Rach0307
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's very important, especially when discussing birth control ineffectiveness and STDs. It's as important as the drug-use segment we had in middle school, which is something my parents never even mentioned to me. I learned far more about life beyond academics in school than I ever did at home as a child. Ideally, all parents would be responsible enough to talk on all points with their children, but unfortunately, many put it off too long or are too embarassed. While sex ed isn't (and shouldn't be) solely the school's responsibility, I do think enough children benefit from it to be an important part of public school curriculum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)