Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I way over spent on my daughters birthday party.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 9 Replies

I only have $50 for groceries for the next two weeks :( Does anyone have any good dinner ideas that a VERY cheap and not too unhealthy? Me and my kids are on very healthy diets and im owrried if I go buy a bunch of cheak canned food we will all get sick.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
k9l1c5
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I think you kinda have to throw the extreme healthy out the window for the next 2 weeks... You guys shouldn't get sick but will probably be sluggish. That being said I find frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh and just as good, pasta is cheap, buy everything store brand...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Check the dollar store they actually have alot of food staples there like rice, beans etc...
k9l1c5
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Do you have anything in your freezers like meat and stuff that you could use up for the 2 weeks?
jessjennings23
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a bag of frozen chick breasts, and about a pund of burger.

MamaPeanut
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree.

Also meat free meals will save you a lot of money!

Beans and pasta with veggies are very nutritious and inexpensive. :)

Quoting k9l1c5:

I think you kinda have to throw the extreme healthy out the window for the next 2 weeks... You guys shouldn't get sick but will probably be sluggish. That being said I find frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh and just as good, pasta is cheap, buy everything store brand...
k9l1c5
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Well since you have chicken something we make pretty often and tastes good is "mexican chicken"... you can put the frozen chicken right in your crockpot in the morning with some salsa and black beans, spice with chili powder, pepper, cumin and garlic powder... once chicken is cooked I take it out and shred it and then put back in to cook a little more. I let it cook for like 6 hours on high before shredding, almost falls right apart. You can eat this plain or if you have tortillas put it on that or nachos... we normally always have leftovers of this and I use 3 big chicken breasts for 4 people.

Quoting jessjennings23:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

jessjennings23
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Thank you! I forgot they had food at the dollar store. I already have meat so I just need boxed and canned food pretty much.

jessjennings23
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Thanks you! Thats an awesome idea. I think i will stop at the dollar store on my way home and grab some beans and make that tonight. I have some tortillas I can bake into some chips.

Quoting k9l1c5:

Well since you have chicken something we make pretty often and tastes good is "mexican chicken"... you can put the frozen chicken right in your crockpot in the morning with some salsa and black beans, spice with chili powder, pepper, cumin and garlic powder... once chicken is cooked I take it out and shred it and then put back in to cook a little more. I let it cook for like 6 hours on high before shredding, almost falls right apart. You can eat this plain or if you have tortillas put it on that or nachos... we normally always have leftovers of this and I use 3 big chicken breasts for 4 people.

Quoting jessjennings23:

k9l1c5
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

You're welcome! The dollar store also sells salsa too if you need that, instead of paying $4 at the grocery store.

Quoting jessjennings23:

Thanks you! Thats an awesome idea. I think i will stop at the dollar store on my way home and grab some beans and make that tonight. I have some tortillas I can bake into some chips.

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting jessjennings23:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)