Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

anyone use the WIC program?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 50 Replies
They have been giving me 10 cans of formula a month but now that my son is 6 months they only give me 7 plus baby food.. But i heard babies still mostly need formula because that's where they get all their nutrients. and he still eats a ton of formula so 7 cans is not enough. Can i tell them i make my own baby food and just get my 10 cans back?

UPDATE:
To the rude people implying im complaining that is absolutely not the case. In a first time mom and never had any kind of government help so i wasnt sure how it worked. I didnt know it was supposed to be lowered. So if you have anything rude to say you can leave this post :)
Kthanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
September2013
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Its never bad to ask.. I don't have wic but i know ppl that do.. I hear its pretty good..
Nicoles2LilRams
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Probably not.  When I switched to formula I never got enough, but they are a supplemental program.  If they give you all you need, that's great, but if not, it's up to you to buy the difference.

Xat
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I don't have wic. I know that everyone that I have known that has always used it was always getting way too much formula. They had several cans every month that they never used. I guess you can talk to them and see what they say.

Join us in the Virginia Moms group!

pancake.
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
They give you enough to help you through the month. The rest you have to buy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I used WIC when I was 19 and with my first..

It's only a supplement program, you're still expected to buy some of it yourself. 

They won't exchange the baby food for more formula.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

IansMommy2012
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM
No they won't do it
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I agree with the others.  WIC is a supplemental program so any extra needs to be bought by yourself or get from somewhere that gives away to needy families.  DD was nursed so we didnt use much formula.  The rules keep changing which can be confusing.   We aged out just as they were changing the less formula after 6 months.

HaileysMom07180
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM

we did when dd was a baby but she is almost 7 now so not anymore

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I have WIC too, and they dropped us down at 6 months too. Thankfully dd doesn't drink a ton of formula, she has always hovered around 24 oz a day since she was a newborn. But yes, you will need to buy whatever other formula you need, WIC is usually pretty set in their ways.

RileyBugsMomma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM

It never hurts to ask but I doubt they will allow that. My WIC rep told me I would get enough formula to last about 3 weeks and Im responsible for the last week. Thats just a description of WIC in a nutshell. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)