Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

totally freaking out about school :'(

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
I got signed up for general studies part time at the college here in town and and after that was going to transfer to a med school in the city to go for physical therapy. Well changed my mind and going for my RN but im so confused...i work full time, 37+ hours a week and have 4 kids at home. We are stable enough to pay our bills w very little if no money left over so i cant afford to go to part time :( im sick and tired of making minimum wadge every job i wotk at and am dead set on going for this! Im so stressed and almost in tears :'( any advice? Does any one know of any on line jobs i could do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sprinkles9112
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Have you applied for financial aid? The money you get from that can help you pay for classes as well as living expenses. 

Deep breaths. My mom returned to school to get her RN when I was 9.  She graduated with honors while keeping a family of 4 together. Helped with homework, made dinner, worked 2 part time jobs (1 of which was for clinicals and didn't offer $). Now she's got her masters- she's a nurse practitioner. :) It's possible! Just set your mind to "DETERMINED!" :D Good luck! 

ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Apply for grants. My sister is going to school and due to grants everything has been paid for including living expenses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Grants, grants and more grants.  There should be tons out there for this field as well as financial aid.  Look into an medical office that could perhaps hire you and help pay for the schooling as well.

Candace8609
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I got a pell grant. I like that story! Makes me feel better :) thanks hun!

Quoting sprinkles9112:

Have you applied for financial aid? The money you get from that can help you pay for classes as well as living expenses. 

Deep breaths. My mom returned to school to get her RN when I was 9.  She graduated with honors while keeping a family of 4 together. Helped with homework, made dinner, worked 2 part time jobs (1 of which was for clinicals and didn't offer $). Now she's got her masters- she's a nurse practitioner. :) It's possible! Just set your mind to "DETERMINED!" :D Good luck! 

Candace8609
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I got a pell grant so far

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Apply for grants. My sister is going to school and due to grants everything has been paid for including living expenses.
Candace8609
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I have a pell grant so far. The advisor told me that id have left over money but only around a thousand. And idk how often id get extra money....im clueless to all of this :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

Grants, grants and more grants.  There should be tons out there for this field as well as financial aid.  Look into an medical office that could perhaps hire you and help pay for the schooling as well.

aodom323
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

ratracerebellion.com has a bunch of legit online jobs.  Also go to lionbridge.com i did that but it very mind numbing.  

Candace8609
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Thanks!!! Ill check it out :)

Quoting aodom323:

ratracerebellion.com has a bunch of legit online jobs.  Also go to lionbridge.com i did that but it very mind numbing.  

JG86
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Why can't you work full time and still go to school?
aodom323
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM

after classes start you'll get a check with the remaining amount.  If you qualify for the full $5500 and you go full time you will get $2750 for fall semester and spring semester.  Since you are going part time you will get 1375 per semester and they will take your tuition from that money.  Any extra after tuition and books will be sent to you in a check.  I get a pell grant for the full $5500 and I go to school full timeso I get $2750 per semester.  After tuition and books I get a check of about $1500 per semester.  That money can goes towards anything pretty much even rent.  If you are going to take classes in the summer save the extra money for that tuition.

Quoting Candace8609:

I have a pell grant so far. The advisor told me that id have left over money but only around a thousand. And idk how often id get extra money....im clueless to all of this :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)