Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Struggling As An Adult

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM
  • 5 Replies

I just need to vent and get some stuff out. I guess I let myself get down about things that I should just not care about. I want to say I am a 24 year old single mother to a wonderful 3 year old boy. If I had not met my boyfriend of nearly 8 months, I would be lost.

Let me explain. I never had to be an adult ever. I'm not trying to fault my parents. But I realize how much they hindered me. I have never paid bills until almost a year ago. I know nothing about car insurance or making gas money last. I struggle all the time with money because I have no concept of it. I started my first real full time job almost 2 years ago. I feel so lost. There is so much adult things I just do not understand.

Thankfully, I met my boyfriend around the time my parents decided it was time for me to be an adult. Without my boyfriend, I would of sank. He helps daily to remember my budget, to pay bills, to not waste money. He helps me grocery shop the right way. The way that doesn't waste money. There are so many things he knows that I have no clue about.

I get that my parents were trying to help. But it didn't. I am under so much stress right now because I am trying to understand and make things all work out. I have come such a long way in the last year. I dumped my parents cell phone plan and pay my own. I have my own car insurance and pay it monthly. I work my butt off at work and try not to cut hours. I budget all my money and know where it should go.

It's just hard. I am doing all this virtually alone aside from my boyfriend. At the time my parents decided I could enter adulthood was also the time they stopped helping. I hide my mail and am considering a P.O box to ensure I get my mail when it comes. I hardly tell them anything about my life. I no longer look to them for advice when I'm struggling. I just wish this was all easier.

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM

We've all been there at one point, just a little earlier then you.

QuirkyMom26
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I still struggle with ' adult things ' and I'm almost 27! No shame in that. I'm just glad you met a great guy that helped you with these things and slowly you're progressing. Good for you!

mlogsdon
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I'm glad you're figuring it all out. You'll get there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rolltidemom28
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Dont let it stress you out. Like you said, look at how far you've come and how much you've accomplished. Learn what you can, however dont feel the need to learn it all in one day. Like QuirkyMom26 said, we all still struggle with "adult things". Heck I had to have my husband help me deposit a check into the ATM the other day. I had no clue how to do it. I have to ask people alot about things and I'm almost 28. Love your boyfriend for all that he's done and be proud of yourself, not stressed. :)

NikkiMisfit
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:48 AM

You're not alone in this. Like  alexsmomaubrys2 said, we've all been there at some point. Some of us have been there more than once. Don't feel bad, just be happy you're finally learning. The great thing about CafeMom is you can post any questions you might have and get answers from all kinds of moms who get what you need or are looking for. So, don't be scared.

~*~ Nikki ~*~

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself." ~Harvey Fierstein

My Blog: www.dearnikki.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN