Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

paragard? other forms of bc besides the pill?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM
  • 33 Replies
I go for my 6 week check-up in 2 weeks and I've been researching bc options and I'm really interested in paragard because it is non-hormonal and long-term. Has anyone here used it? Do you like it? Any side effects? If not, what method do you use?

I'm interested in anything besides the pill really. I've been on it before and never had any bad side effects but I was always forgetting it and that's how I have my two dds now lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

you want hormonal or non hormonal?   I used the patch for 3 years with alot of success.  No side effects that i am aware of.   You put one on an area of your body for a week, each week you replace it and on the 4th week you go patch free for aunt flo to show up. Once she is gone, you start over again.   I did not even get the rash which is most common side effect.  I did not have to ingest anything or put anything in body so i was happy.

nikkidedman
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM
I'm considering either. I like the idea of non-hormonal, but I'm not against getting something hormonal. I'm just afraid of the side effects of trying something different I guess.

Do the patches stay on pretty well? I'd be afraid it would fall off before the week was up

Quoting frndlyfn:

you want hormonal or non hormonal?   I used the patch for 3 years with alot of success.  No side effects that i am aware of.   You put one on an area of your body for a week, each week you replace it and on the 4th week you go patch free for aunt flo to show up. Once she is gone, you start over again.   I did not even get the rash which is most common side effect.  I did not have to ingest anything or put anything in body so i was happy.

frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Yes it stayed on for everything.  I think only one time in 3 years it slipped around and nearly ended up on my guy ha ha as if he was going to get pregnant .  I used the abdomen area or the butt cheeks so it wasnt on display when i wore a swimsuit.

Quoting nikkidedman:

I'm considering either. I like the idea of non-hormonal, but I'm not against getting something hormonal. I'm just afraid of the side effects of trying something different I guess.

Do the patches stay on pretty well? I'd be afraid it would fall off before the week was up

Quoting frndlyfn:

mlogsdon
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I have mirena.... I have had a good experience with it, but I know that's not the case for everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM
I get the shot, depo provera. But I haven't had it long enough to say whether its good or not. I haven't had any side effects or bleeding. It's been two and a half weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovely_latta421
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I have Implanon and it's been pretty good. It's an in-office procedure where they insert a match-size rod into your upper arm. If you do it at the end of your period you're good to go otherwise they tell you to wait two weeks before unprotected (I may have my info wrong though..) Lasts for three years and you can't even tell it's there unless you touch it! I really like it!
nikkidedman
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:13 AM
I wanted mirena at first but then I found out about the copper iud and it was more appealing based on what I've read. I never knew it existed until a few weeks ago lol.

Does it hurt to have it put in?

Quoting mlogsdon:

I have mirena.... I have had a good experience with it, but I know that's not the case for everyone.
nikkidedman
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Did it hurt to have it put in? Or do they numb your arm first?

A former co-worker of mine had it and her only complaint was she gained a lot of weight with it. That worries me because I'm already overweight, but that can happen with any hormonal bc I guess.

Quoting lovely_latta421:

I have Implanon and it's been pretty good. It's an in-office procedure where they insert a match-size rod into your upper arm. If you do it at the end of your period you're good to go otherwise they tell you to wait two weeks before unprotected (I may have my info wrong though..) Lasts for three years and you can't even tell it's there unless you touch it! I really like it!
lovely_latta421
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM
They numb the area but it hurts the next day just a little. You have to keep gauze on it for 24 hours after.

And I haven't noticed it, but I have a higher metabolism I guess. Always between 130-145. I have broken out more on my face but I've always had oily skin. It's different with everyone, I guess. I like it because it's pretty much impossible to lose!

Quoting nikkidedman:

A former co-worker of mine had it and her only complaint was she gained a lot of weight with it. That worries me because I'm already overweight, but that can happen with any hormonal bc I guess.

Quoting lovely_latta421:

nikkidedman
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM
This may be a stupid question but after the three years is up if you still want it do they just insert a new rod?

I do like the fact that it's not something I can forget or that could fall out like an iud could.

Quoting lovely_latta421:

They numb the area but it hurts the next day just a little. You have to keep gauze on it for 24 hours after.

And I haven't noticed it, but I have a higher metabolism I guess. Always between 130-145. I have broken out more on my face but I've always had oily skin. It's different with everyone, I guess. I like it because it's pretty much impossible to lose!

Quoting nikkidedman:

Quoting lovely_latta421:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN