Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

EMT-B ask me anything

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am a trained EMT-B and my friends and family have been asking me a ton of questions lately about my experiences and opinions on things. I am finally able to talk about some of the things that have happened during some of the calls I was on. So, ask me anything you want!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MaryS92
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM

For those who don't know what an EMT is it is an Emergency Medical Technician. Someone who answers 911 calls and takes care of the patients at the scene of the accident.

StarryRain
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I don't have any questions. I have enough friends who are EMTs and medics and doctors /nurses.

Bumps for you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
1sttimemom12
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM

no questions...done that one before. Still talk to Doc too...so yeah no questions.

k9l1c5
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

What was the craziest call you ever got?

MaryS92
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

The craziest call I ever had was a lady who everyone knew was a bum on the streets. She would fake seizures to get valium. I was the newbie so they decided to let me lead and well when I got there she went so far as to beat her head on the ground faking a seizure to get the valium! So, they gave me the syringe that should have been full of valium instead it was a placebo! She started acting like she was calming down and pretended to pass out! So, to check if a patient truly is passed out we take her right arm and hold it out above her face. Well, when they let go of her arm it fell to the side instead of on her face like it should have and they were all laughing and I didn't get it until they explained it. I was mad at the time but I did kinda feel bad for the lady. We admitted her to the hospital for a concussion since she banged her head on the cement so hard! They still answer her call when someone says she is having a seizure just to make sure it's not real cause she has wacked her head so many times!!! lol She was crazy!

Quoting k9l1c5:

k9l1c5
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Lol wow! So she always thinks they are giving her valium when she calls!? That IS crazy.

Quoting MaryS92:

The craziest call I ever had was a lady who everyone knew was a bum on the streets. She would fake seizures to get valium. I was the newbie so they decided to let me lead and well when I got there she went so far as to beat her head on the ground faking a seizure to get the valium! So, they gave me the syringe that should have been full of valium instead it was a placebo! She started acting like she was calming down and pretended to pass out! So, to check if a patient truly is passed out we take her right arm and hold it out above her face. Well, when they let go of her arm it fell to the side instead of on her face like it should have and they were all laughing and I didn't get it until they explained it. I was mad at the time but I did kinda feel bad for the lady. We admitted her to the hospital for a concussion since she banged her head on the cement so hard! They still answer her call when someone says she is having a seizure just to make sure it's not real cause she has wacked her head so many times!!! lol She was crazy!

Quoting k9l1c5:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

mommyvidana
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

have you worked on someone naked? like give them cpr or insert a catherter.. do you guys even do that or hospital nurses?

MaryS92
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Lol Sometimes we had to strip them naked. We had a 6 year old boy drown in a pool and we had to take off his clothes cause he was bleeding. I did CPR while others stripped him to see where the bleed was coming from. He cut his left hip really bad on a piece of metal near the pool and that's why he fell in. We pronounced him dead at the scene though. We had to warm him up and I gave him CPR for about 30 minutes. A patient isn't dead until he/she is warm and dead. Weird way of putting it but sometimes people can come back after being warmed up. When I did my clinicals I had to learn how to insert and remove a foli catheter on a male patient first! I felt soooo bad for him! lol

Quoting mommyvidana:

have you worked on someone naked? like give them cpr or insert a catherter.. do you guys even do that or hospital nurses?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)