Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping at Work (PIAG)

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 9 Replies

Mobile Photo

I EBF, but recently went back to work (though am frantically trying to find a way to WAH b/c I hate it here).

The accommodations for pumping are less than stellar to begin with, but last week I was interrupted by a gentleman needing to enter the room to gain access to stuff that is stored in said room. (I'll post pics).

I felt really uncomfortable about the whole situation. I mean, this time he knocked - even though the sign said not to disturb - what's to stop some idiot from just barging in next time!? The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. There is another coworker who also uses this room.
But why can't this stuff be housed somewhere else? At least while this room is in need? What's in the room?
A shop vac, a fan, several boxes, a few coolers, various office and shipping supplies and an extremely large container used for collecting the trash from the shred bins around the office.

So, what are your pumping accommodations like at work?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
scperdomo
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Mobile Photo

Another angle of the room.
scperdomo
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Mobile Photo

Office/shipping supplies
ShireeCS
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM
My dd is almost 8 so I don't use it but the pumping room here is attached to the kitchen and has shelved in it with kitchen supplies, tissues and other various things. I have never seen anyone knock on the door when someone is in there though.
scperdomo
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM
That's interesting. I bet that makes for easy cleanup, being so close to the kitchen!

Quoting ShireeCS:

My dd is almost 8 so I don't use it but the pumping room here is attached to the kitchen and has shelved in it with kitchen supplies, tissues and other various things. I have never seen anyone knock on the door when someone is in there though.
ramita
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM
The last place I worked didn't really have a place for pumping but there was only two of us so I.don't think there would have been a big deal.

The place before the girls usually used the restroom for pumping, but it had a nice little sitting area in it with some comy chairs.

Some places the buildings are older so there's not much you can do about finding a room just for pumping, the business needs all the space it can. I would advise in those cases to bring a little blanket or jacket for covering up when intruptions do have to happen.
scperdomo
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM
If our bathroom had a nice comfy seating area, I probably would do it there.

As for older buildings.... they renovated this space for us before we moved and there were 2 women pumping then, they could a reserved a small space. In any event, federal law says they have to provide me a private space, that isn't a bathroom free from co-worker interruption in order to express milk for my child.

I get what you're saying though.

Quoting ramita:

The last place I worked didn't really have a place for pumping but there was only two of us so I.don't think there would have been a big deal.

The place before the girls usually used the restroom for pumping, but it had a nice little sitting area in it with some comy chairs.

Some places the buildings are older so there's not much you can do about finding a room just for pumping, the business needs all the space it can. I would advise in those cases to bring a little blanket or jacket for covering up when intruptions do have to happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cupcake2819
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Nice.  Padded recliner, ipod station (though I don't use it), scented oil difuser, and a lock on the door!

scperdomo
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Wow. That's awesome!
My BIL said the mother's room where he works has 2 love seats, 2 mini fridges and 2 hospital grade pumps for the moms to use. Freakin nuts.

Quoting cupcake2819:

Nice.  Padded recliner, ipod station (though I don't use it), scented oil difuser, and a lock on the door!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I used to pull folding chair into the bathroom so I wouldn't have to sit on the toilet. People would get super annoyed because there were only two single toilet bathrooms in the building. Your room kind of looks like an oasis after my setup. Lol. But it was either that or pump in my car, not an option in 115° heat.

Eta- talk to HR about sending out a memo that there is absolutely no access to that room when the sign is up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)