Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any other moms who have quit smoking?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Sarah....I am a 24 year old single mother of two rowdy boys. I have an SO who is amazing, and has two amazing kids of his own. I am a CNA and Staffing Coordinator for a local home health company in my town, and I also do some behind the scenes work for our family's company. I am a full time student on top of kids and two full time jobs, I will earn my degree in Healthcare Administration on my 26th birthday.

Anywho.....

I am looking for other moms who have quit smoking successfully. I have smoked socially since high school, but the last few years it has become a daily thing. My SO and I had a long talk about it the other night on our monthly weekend get-a-way. While he won't leave me for it, he wants me to quit, and I want to quit also. I just HAVE NO CLUE WHERE TO START.  I have had serious thoughts about just quitting cold turkey and dealing with the side effects. I want to get my health back in shape. I'm all of 5ft 4" and 115lbs soaking wet, but I still want to get to a better place with my body and all it's functions...but I can't if I'm still smoking.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks ladies!

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I quit when I found out I was pregnant with dd. The same day. And that has been almost a year and a half now. I did it cold turkey and never looked back aside from a couple puffs from df's after having dd. Now we just need to get him to quit... I know it is rare that cold turkey works for people though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lenoxclan
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I went cold turkey every time. I've smoked on and off throughout the years, going as little as a couple months to as long as a couple year in between.

I do smoke "socially" now. Only when I visit home which is on average, twice a  year.

I've never had a problem quiting.. You will get the munchies, I suggest either lots of gum on hand(for the oral fixation) or jolly ranchers.

Miss5ft4
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

During the day, from 8am-5pm I don't smoke except on the road between my patient's homes and when I get home....but when it comes down to the weekends, almost my entire family smokes and we are ALWAYS together Friday-Sunday so that is my biggest obstacle! 

SO would be happy if I could just get back to socially smoking when we go have a drink on date night.

mlogsdon
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM
I quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I did not pick it back up after as my son had breathing issues. So I didn't really have a choice, I just toughed it out :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShelMama
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:16 AM
I quit in May 2011 cold turkey when I got a positive pregnancy test. Something about imagining all the things it could do to my baby just helped me not do it. Once I didn't do it long enough and it wasn't part of my daily routine, it was easy. I never picked it up again. GL. It gets easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShelMama
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Start by cutting it out of your normal routine. Instead of lighting up when you're on the phone, do some dishes. Instead of lighting up in the car pop in a piece of gum...etc. switch it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rh2pinkie
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:39 AM
I quit cold turkey 16 months ago. It is hard, but every craving you overcome will be a sign to yourself that you're that much stronger :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alchemist_Momma
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:52 AM

I quit using the Blu e-cigg. It works, unlike a lot of other brands out there. However, I got a lot of stress thrown on me within in just a few hours, but couldn't bring myself to buy a 6 dollar pack of cig's, so I bought a cigarrillo, and now I'm stuck on them AND the Blu!

I quit smoking for almost 2 months before all the stress got thrown on me at once. If you go for the Blu, get the full kit. It's expensive, but oh so worth it.

MMerrill
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant and never started back... try an e-cigarette that's what my husband is using to help him quit

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

NikkiGross42
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I quit cold turkey four years ago. It was tough, but I had to do it.. Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)