Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Your children don't belong to you!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 41 Replies

Um, no madam. My child does not belong to the community. Does yours? Is this what you want? Even if you don't homeschool and have no interest in doing so, do you believe that the state/community is more responsible for your children than you are?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM

ShireeCS
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I would soooo homeschool if I didn't have to work!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I am so thankful for this opportunity. I hated the days when I had to leave DS at a babysitter's house or at his almost preschool (fancy daycare lol).
Quoting ShireeCS:

I would soooo homeschool if I didn't have to work!!!
jojo_star
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM

They are my children. I do send them to school, because I am not a teacher, I don't have the desire to be one, and I have a career I love, but that doesn't change the fact that they are DH's and my children. At the same time, I see her point, we need a more community focused idea of children. 

ambermarie2006
by Amber on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I homeschooled Autumn this past year! If we did not live in such an amazing small school district I would homeschool grade school. If we ever move from here I definitely am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Yep!

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicoles2LilRams
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I think the point of what she's trying to say was completely missed. 

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM
So please feel free to elaborate. I understand what she was trying to say, but still disagree with the sentiment that children belong to the community, not families.
Quoting Nicoles2LilRams:

Nicoles2LilRams
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM

She never said they DON'T belong to their families.  Just that the community as a whole should consider their well being and best interests as well.  "Not *just* the household's"

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

So please feel free to elaborate. I understand what she was trying to say, but still disagree with the sentiment that children belong to the community, not families.
Quoting Nicoles2LilRams:

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
"We have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents or... families and recognize that kids belong to whole communities." I disagree with her assertion that children belong to the community. They do not. Do we share some sense of responsibility for the children in our communities? Possibly, but that sense of responsibility should be incredibly limited in its scope. The ultimate responsibility is with the parents and that is how it should be. The state should not be raising our children, we should be.
Quoting Nicoles2LilRams:

She never said they DON'T belong to their families.  Just that the community as a whole should consider their well being and best interests as well.  "Not *just* the household's"

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Quoting Nicoles2LilRams:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN