Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Grandparent Rights of Visitation

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 18 Replies

Afternoon all!

I need some quick advice about allowing my psycho ex-bf allowing his Mother to see my daughter.

She is only 7 months old and has NEVER seen any part of her father's family-all for good reasons. My ex-bf is a convicted felon who has a history of violence, alcoholism, and family history of violence, alcoholism, drugs, and abuse.

I have done all I can to prevent him from seeing us. I have a protective order against him until next year in June. I also have sole custody, full visitation, and child support on him.

But yesterday, (and they have NEVER tried anything until now) I received a letter saying his Mother will be represented by some attorney in the county outside of mine. I know that doesn't mean we have a court date, but it pisses me off to no end to think she can try and waltz into our life and think its ok. I understand her wanting to see her granddaughter, but she has NO INVOLVEMENT whatsoever in her other daughters life. BTW- she also has been married....5 times? She has 3 children, each from 3 different men, and she married a guy between my ex-bf and his younger "half" sister. Now she's remarried to an alcoholic, possible drug using, low life. I know thats harsh, but she used to rant and rave at my ex bf and I about our relationship and I feel she has no place to judge. I know neither do I, but I couldn't save myself from the relationship I will do EVERYTHING possible to protect my daughter from that type of harm or any harm.

My ex bf's Mother also has a history of physical and verbal abuse against everyone in her family. She never had an issue cussing me out or throwing me out when she had a bad day. So I fear some how she will get some rights to my daughter-even though I know VA has very limited grandparent rights to their grandchildren.

I've been given much advice from family and friends not to stress because it tearrs you down, but its terrifying to imagine my ex bf's family touching, seeing, having a relationship with my daughter.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?! I've already talked to my lawyer and now we wait..... :(

Thank-you for any help!

Maggie

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
She will have to prove its the best interest of your child to be with her. I think it would be easy to prove its not. 1 she has no relationship with her and biggest she is the mother of your felon, restraining order having ex. What's to say he wont come get the baby from her house? Add to that her current husbands behavior and I don't see how any judge with say that is a safe environment.
That is the defends I would push if it comes to that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I doubt she would get any type of actual custody if she has not been in your daughter's life, but I do think they can get some kind of visitation. Not sure though, I've never had to deal with this kind of thing, I'm just going by other things I have heard. Does your lawyer think she could get any kind of custody?

ramita
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Talk to your lawyer about hiring a private detective. If she is using drugs, or her husband is this proof. If she's abusive this is proof. Also, have lawyer research any and all criminal charges and police reports on her or her current husband.
StarryRain
by Rain on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Good luck, I've never had any experience with this.
kathrynsmomma03
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this
In md grandparents don't have rites
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Though I'd add maybe offering up supervised visits through a 3rd party visitation center. This is something else you can talk to lawyer about.
dflowers
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this
This happened to me too with my oldest. She doesn't have a leg to stand on. Its your child not hers grandparents have no right whatsoever. She is just trying to scare you. Keep letting her know your the mother and what u says goes. Alot of money will be waisted on her part. Good luck girl
ButtonsMama44
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Your number one job is to be the best mom you can be and protect your daughter to the best of your ability.

Sounds like you're doing that :)

I would keep her from anyone in his family if you can- if she ends up getting visitation then Id do anything to make sure it's supervised and if possible you need to be there. No matter what.

You're her mom. Nothing else matters
Mrs-Somerhalder
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Its probably a scare tactic. Send the letter from the lawyer so you'll be scared and agree to let her see the baby.

I'd ignore her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrEnChIk21
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank-you for your reply!

I feel confident some women can relate to me and understand my situation. I hope this turns out well and can use ALL the prayers possible to make this a better outcome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)