Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

MY SON WILL NOT STAY ASLEEP IN HIS OWN BED HELP!!!

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM
  • 19 Replies

ALRIGHTY!! the statement above is very true. My son is 2 1/2 years old, from birth til 2 he co slept with me. now that he's two it's time for him to be a "big boy" so i bought him a big boy bed for him to sleep by himself in. i didnt just introduce sleeping by himself just at 2 but i would put him to sleep by himself at one as well.... anyways, carter loved his new bed was super excited to jump on and in it when it was all put together. Carter, will now willingly go in his bed to go to sleep which is GREAT, however almost every day he wakes up crying... I live with my boyfriend and have been since september 2012, so carter waking up and crying, wanting to get into our bed is a little... well i dont want him in the bed with ryan and i. I have tried a night light, he still woke up crying... i no longer know what to do... so i put him in our bed.. then he pees through his diaper.... do u think that maybe hes waking up for a change? (he's being potty trained as well) or is he afraid of the dark? what???? i cant deal with waking up at 2 in the morning anymore to get him out of bed (we share the same room too) HELP 

EDIT: EVERY OTHER WEEKEND HE SPENDS WITH HIS FATHER WHO LIVES IN A SEPERATE TOWN FROM MYSELF. IM SURE HE SLEEPS IN THE SAME BED WITH HIM, WITH THAT SAID, WOULDNT THAT MAKE IT HARDER TO ADJUST SLEEPING IN HIS OWN BED ALL NIGHT BY HIMSELF ALL THE TIME?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenoxclan
by Lenox on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why I didn't co-sleep..

You need to be persistent and keep putting him back in his bed. Reassure him that momma is right there but he needs to sleep in his big boy bed... If you aren't persistent, he is just going to keep doing this.

ambermarie2006
by Amber on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Just keep putting him back in his bed, do not cave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melaniejaye
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

oh please, if i have another child I AM NOT CO SLEEPING EVER!!!! 

on another note, i tend to cave due to the fact that im a medical assistant, i work early hours and ive tried to put him back to sleep, he just screams louder... after awhile i give up and just put him in my bed he then shuts right up and goes to sleep 

Quoting lenoxclan:

You need to be persistent and keep putting him back in his bed. Reassure him that momma is right there but he needs to sleep in his big boy bed... If you aren't persistent, he is just going to keep doing this.

lenoxclan
by Lenox on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

It's the caving that is ruining it for you.. He now thinks that if he cries long enough and loud enough, he will get his way.

If you really want him to stop coming to your bed, you are going to have to clamp down and not cave. Ask yourself if losing a few nights of sleep is worth it in the long run!

and LOL on the never co sleeping again.

Quoting melaniejaye:

oh please, if i have another child I AM NOT CO SLEEPING EVER!!!! 

on another note, i tend to cave due to the fact that im a medical assistant, i work early hours and ive tried to put him back to sleep, he just screams louder... after awhile i give up and just put him in my bed he then shuts right up and goes to sleep 

Quoting lenoxclan:

save the date

stnamom
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My son and I sleep in the same room too... Here's what I do.. When he goes to bed I have a movie on and I set the TV on a timer. Once it goes off that's it..... no more TV.... It has taken me serveral weeks and LOTS of patients to get him to sleep in his bed till later in the morning... He is now getting into my bed at 6am when he is ready to wake up.... It'll have to be a constant routine and like I said LOTS of patients from yourself and boyfriend... I hope this helps!!! Also my son is in bed between 8 and 10pm... I found the closer to 10 he is in bed the longer he sleeps in his own bed... also a shorter nap helps him too! We went from a 2hr nap to a 1 hr nap, sometimes even 45 minutes.

Tiaqueso
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM
We co slept and then transitioned to his own bed with my son while living in a one room apartment.

We made a huge deal (like making a cake and throwing a little party) for him getting his own bed. Then when he'd get up we would calmy explain that he needed to stay in bed and walk him back to bed and go back through our little tuck in routine.

It took us about a week of consistently reacting to his behavior but we got it.

My sister in law did not co sleep. She is currently having the same problem. I don't think it has everything to do with cosleeping.

Maybe you could try laying down next to him and reading a story or something together before he goes to sleep?

I hope you are able to figure out something that works for your family, sleepless nights are no fun
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM
This. It doesn't matter how tired you are. If you want him to sleep in his own bed then walk him back to his room, change him, give him a hug and a kiss and tell him good night. After that if he gets up again just keep walking him back to his bed without saying anything. I know you're tired but each time you've let him back in your bed you've reinforced that he's welcome to sleep there.
Quoting ambermarie2006:

Just keep putting him back in his bed, do not cave.
NicoleArm3
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM

My husband and I are having the same problem with our LO.  She is going to hit 2 years soon and takes over the ENTIRE bed!  I also have trouble with being persistent...she can scream and cry FOREVER!  How long is too long??  I mean she can literally scream and cry for at least 30 minutes...45 has been the longest and I thought/felt that was too long.  We need some help too.

quiet

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM

might try over night diapers huggies is a great one. my ds is 2 1/2 and does the same thing but i think his issue is 2 many changes in the last few months. might try reading to him in his bed before lights out or if u can when he wakes up lay in his bed with him until he falls back 2 sleep

TiffanyRose06
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Do not cave

On a side note, I was trying to potty train and make ds sleep in his own bed too. He totally regressed with potty training. You don't want to overwhelm him. I stopped pushing the bed until he was potty trained completely

I had a few sleepless nights, but he got used to it because I didn't give in
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN