Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to vaccinate or not?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM
  • 24 Replies
My three yr old has been vaccinated but I have a 4 wk old DD and this time around I am really anxious about making the decision... I feel pulled in a million directions. Any info or links would be awesome. I'm dreading her turning 2 mos...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by Jojo on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

All my kids are vaccinated, any kids we have in the future will be vaccinated. My source is my nursing book, along with the CDC and APA, and personal experience as a nurse with unvaccinated children, it's safer to vaccinated. Good luck making your choice. 

DejeweleD
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM
What was your personal experience .. if you care to share?

Quoting jojo_star:

All my kids are vaccinated, any kids we have in the future will be vaccinated. My source is my nursing book, along with the CDC and APA, and personal experience as a nurse with unvaccinated children, it's safer to vaccinated. Good luck making your choice. 

Tiaqueso
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I choose to vaccinate my child. I have a great pediatrician. If there is a vaccination parents debate about she tells me in advance (like the appointment before) and gives me information for research along with her personal opinion. To date I haven't refused any vaccinations for my child except a flu shot once.

It's a personal opinion. Hope you find information that helps you make a decision that's comfortable for you :)
jojo_star
by Jojo on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

A 15 year old who wasn't vaccinated against measles, got it while pregnant, and very nearly died from encephalitis. Baby didn't make it. One of the moms I was caring for (I'm a labor and delivery nurse) her first child wasn't vaccinated, got chicken pox, and ended up permanently brain damaged after his fever spiked and he had a febrile seizure and struck his head on a marble coffee table. I've seen it a few times where a small child will be unvaccinated, come in with mom, and the child will end up admitted for dehydration related to rota virus. Once, a child collapsed while mom was in labor, she was so dehydrated her kidneys were starting to shut down, and no one could get an IV in her, her veins were impossible to find, it took over an hour to get a patent IV, if I remember correctly, though I wasn't with the girl, I stayed with mom. That, coupled with my own research, has taught me it's safe to vaccinate. Yes, children may have an allergic reaction to a vaccine, but they are just as likely to have that reaction to the medication they may need to treat the illness if they aren't vaccinated. Vaccines aren't 100%, but better than nothing. But please, do your own research, and then decide for yourself what you think is best. 

Quoting DejeweleD:

What was your personal experience .. if you care to share?

Quoting jojo_star:

lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I chose not to vaccinate. I find Dr Mercola to be a great resource. I took the time to research the problems with vaccines, and the likelyhood of occurance of the diseases, along with the actual risks of contracting diseases. I found the vaccines to be way more harmful than anything else.

Fields456
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

The choosing not to vaccinate group is a great place to start for that side of it

wolfybaby
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

definitely hit up the "choosing to not vaccinate" group. there is a subforum specifically for research material. the ladies over there are very friendly and will answer any questions or concerns you want to post.

i do not vaccinate. my daughter is 21 months and has never been sick but for once or twice, and not even close to bad enough to have a sick visit to the pediatrician. she has not caught any vaccine-"preventable" diseases. i am 22 years old and completely unvaccinated. i had whooping cough when i was 2 and i lived [the cdc states in the pink book on the whooping cough disease that virtually all deaths occur in infants 4 months and younger]. dying from chickenpox is a ridiculously low statistic, particularly when the child is properly taken care of. dying from most of the childhood illnesses are pretty slim [especially when you consider how rare they are anymore..and no, they are not "returning" because of how many people arent vaccinating].

ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM

we vaccinate. only thing we dont dois the flushot, otherwise all 3 get their shots on time

mlogsdon
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM
We vaccinate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:02 AM

check out the choosing not to vaccinate group they have lots of info. MY dd was vaxed( not flu or chicken pox) until she was 5...then i started researching more and have since stopped. we are ttc and that baby will not be vaxed until at least 2 if at all. You could always delay vaxing as you can always catch up but can never take one back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)