Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is it just me (mil related)

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 20 Replies
Or is it strange that my mil literally drives past my house 3-4 days a week and never stops by to see her grandkids on her way home from work? Also, she will be in the same town I live in on her days off visiting sil who is literally a mile away if that and not call to see if we are home. When she wants to see my kids she wants to take them to her house for the day. We make an effort to see them and we visit weekly, but do you think it seems like she doesn't like me or I just being weird? I need unbiased opinions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I would talk to her about it. Then again I should practice what I preach. My MIL works like 10 minutes from our house and see's the kids maybe once a month if they're lucky while she see's my sister in laws daughter every weekend who is like 49 minutes away. Who knows. Good luck though.
ginnyk87
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Yes, it's aggravating! How could she not want to see her grandkids is what I just don't understand. She lives about a half hour away from us, so you would think every once in a while she'd want to see them.

I've tried talking to her, but she says nothing is wrong. It just doesn't add up though. She's been known to lie though.

Quoting Rachael-Dawn:

I would talk to her about it. Then again I should practice what I preach. My MIL works like 10 minutes from our house and see's the kids maybe once a month if they're lucky while she see's my sister in laws daughter every weekend who is like 49 minutes away. Who knows. Good luck though.

moogsmom03
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a little odd I think. My MIL saw my kids almost daily when we lived in the same town, up till last summer. But we have a very close relationship and I'd go see her just because. So I don't really know what it's like to have a MIL that you're not close to. However, she should still want to see the kids all the time I would imagine.

lamorena774
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM

She's probably jealous. She may not want to be in a situation where she is second to you. If she brings your baby to her house, theres no you. My MIL is the same way. I dislike her with a passion.

popomill
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Talk to her. My grandparents did the same crap to be when I was little, except they lived 2 hours away and would visit my cousins in the neighborhood down the street and then my cousins that live 6 houses away and would never see me.
caseyjo1030
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I sorta know what you are going through... except its my fil and he lives about 10 mins away but never calls or even messages on fb (which he's always on) to see how his grandkids are doing but calls df's ex to see the girls... he hasn't seen his new grandson since he was born which was 6 weeks ago .... I gave up being nice and trying to let him see him so I finally snapped and gave him a piece of my mind! So if you have a good relationship with your mil I would calmly talk about it before it gets to you and you do something you'll regret ... (I don't regret snapping on fil lol he's a bad dad to begin with so we figured he wouldn't be much of a better grandfather)
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I hate when grandparents show favorites. My MIL lives 300 miles away from all of her grandkids so luckily because of that I think she treats them all the same since she only sees any of them a few times a year. But I do think it's very weird your MIL will drive by your house but won't ever call to come by and see your kids. It would irritate me too.

mlogsdon
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I would be irritated, but I also don't like my MIL and would think anything she does is wrong lol. But for the rest of the in laws, yes... I would be hurt. Does she not like going to your house?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wonderstruck11
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM
My MIL lives an hour away and there for a while she was up here every weekend visiting her dad. She never stopped to see us. Instead, she waited for the weekend that she didn't come up and made us drive down with a baby to see her. Made me so mad that she couldn't just stop by our house, which is right by the interstate and literaly on the way.
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM
We live on the same property. I can see their house from my window and they never see my kids... So I feel ya. Me and my Mil haven't spoken in over two months and we see each other every morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)