Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you ever get sick of the judging?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 43 Replies
3 moms liked this

I'm young, okay, I get it, and I know that if I go without makeup and pull back my hair, I look even younger. Still, I'm plenty old enough to have a kid and I'm really sick and tired of the looks I get when I'm out and about.

Do you ever get sick of being judged for being a young mom?

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JCSmommy2
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this
Definitely.. I'm also sick of people saying " oh does your mom help you?" I really want to say no she doesn't.. I do everything for him by myself .. It annoys me bc I'm young ppl assume I cant parent and I'm 23 so I don't think I'm too young to be a mom either
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aodom323
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM

yeah i live in an area that has a bunch of old people.  and I mean a bunch.  I go to the grocery store and I get weird looks all the time it sucks.  My fiance tells me to tell them to f*** off but i'm to nice.  Whenever my fiance and I first got together I visited him at work and his cop buddy was working. After I left he asked my fiance how old I was to make sure he wasn't robbing the cradle....

loveing2013
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm 21 and still get mistaken as a teen.. Now that Im pregnant, i feel like they are looking at me like "just another pregnant teen in high school" when actually.. I'm an adult pregnant with my first child. It's so annoyin, but there's nothing u can do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I've never felt judged for being a young mom. I don't know if I didn't get judged or if I just never noticed it. I was 19 when I got pregnant but I was already married and established in a good career so maybe people just never knew how old I was.
NikkiGross42
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Yeah. I got asked a week or two ago if I was even old enough to have kids. I am 24 and my boys are 5 & 3. I know I was young, but I can tke care of my kids and people should really mind their own business!
PINKmyfavcolor
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

That's another thing I hate hearing. I told one lady, "No, because I'm a grown woman of 25 and fully capable of caring for my child myself."

I mean, it's not like I'm 9 or something!

Quoting JCSmommy2:

Definitely.. I'm also sick of people saying " oh does your mom help you?" I really want to say no she doesn't.. I do everything for him by myself .. It annoys me bc I'm young ppl assume I cant parent and I'm 23 so I don't think I'm too young to be a mom either

PINKmyfavcolor
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Could be, or that you just live in an area where people are less judgy overall. I think around here people are VERY judgemental.

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

I've never felt judged for being a young mom. I don't know if I didn't get judged or if I just never noticed it. I was 19 when I got pregnant but I was already married and established in a good career so maybe people just never knew how old I was.

PINKmyfavcolor
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I want so badly to tell people to mind their own business when they make snotty comments or ask nosy questions. I'm 25 and my daughter is 18mos. I'm not some kid with a kid and it irks me when people act as though I'm incompetent due to what they assume to be my age.

Quoting NikkiGross42:

Yeah. I got asked a week or two ago if I was even old enough to have kids. I am 24 and my boys are 5 & 3. I know I was young, but I can tke care of my kids and people should really mind their own business!

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Not sure. I know I got a ton of negative attention over my decision to be a SAHM (when DS was three). I've lived all over Southern CA and now live in Oklahoma. I don't face any negativity here because I dress well and SAHMs are a lot more accepted socially here.
Quoting PINKmyfavcolor:

Could be, or that you just live in an area where people are less judgy overall. I think around here people are VERY judgemental.

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

jojo_star
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I was 13 when my son was born, so after nearly 12 years of being a very young mother, yes, I'm tried of it, but for the most part, I ignore it. It's not nearly as common now as it used to be, but my three older children who aren't mine biologically, but still my kids, are 14, 15, and 16, and sometimes, when we are out or at their schools or sporting events, and call me mom, I get some looks, and sometimes even rude comments. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN