Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 month old tossing and turning at night?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay my daughter was a good sleeper from the get go. She got up when she was supose to and slept when she was supose to. She started sleeping all night I believe at 2 and a half month. Recently in the last month or two she has been tossing and turning alot at night. I make sure she isn't cold or to hot and check her diaper and change her but she still tosses and turns. She gets to the point to where she hits her head on the crib one to three times. It worries me. It seems constant and she awakes crying and whining a couple times. Is this normal? What can I do? How long will it last?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GwenGray
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:56 AM

could be teething, or even a growth spurt. Sometimes babies are just uncomfortable because of them. It can cause such things to happen. I'm sorry I hope she gets better rest soon.

k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Could be teething, possibly growing pains. Maybe you could check for an ear infection? Sometimes babies get them with absolutely no symptoms.

Muppet2010
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I have the same problem. My daughter will be turning 10 months the 27 but for the last month and a half I would say she has done the same thing. Toss and turn all night long I have to get up repeatedly to try and make her comfortable which isnt like i am not getting up repeatly to pee considering I am 24 wks prego but still lol. I would say that it is coming from teething or as the other moms suggested a growth spurt. Even to naps during the day now she will only sleep for maybe 30 mins and she is up so its been horrible because she is tired and cranky most of the day. Hope you get things figured out, I know i will be glad when my daughter does lol. Good luck.

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

sounds like nightmares/night terrors. put her in overnight  diapers so she isnt needing changed at night and just comfort her when she wakes. i would put a bumper pad on so she won't hit her head any more. ds did that from 5 months until he was a year old now @ 2 1/2 it is starting again. both my kids toss & turn in their sleep though but so do i so it isn't that bothersome on it's own but the whimpering crying waking is all signs of nightmares & night terrors

MMerrill
by Melissa on Apr. 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM

My son does it sometimes but not every night.  It's usually the nights he's fussy, which I chalk up to teething.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

FoxTales
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

My son is a very restless sleeper. He practically does somersaults in his sleep... only when he's feeling ill or is over-tired does he stay put.  I haven't much advice, because it didn't start becoming a real issue until about 15 months (he has also been an awesome sleeper) and we thought he maybe needed more room, so we transitioned him to a twin bed. 9 months is way too young for a bed like that, imo... if you're not opposed to bumper pads, you could try that.... I hesitate to suggest it on a site where I know I've gotten a strip torn off of me for using them, but it was the only way to keep bruises off his head when he was younger. If she's waking crying and whining, I agree with the other ladies, it could just be teething or a growth spurt.... Sorry, not much help here!

aodom323
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

It sounds like teething or growth spurts.  You can talk to her doctor about it though, s/he may offer some other insight.  If it is teething it may last awhile and if that is the case I recommend infants tylenol.  If it is growth spurt it will last like a week.  At that age they tend to toss and turn like we do in our sleep.  My son hits his head on his crib all the time from moving around.  There isn't much you can do if it is normal tossing and turning unless you get bumpers for the crib (they now have ones at babies r us that are expensive but ventilate so you dont have to worry about the baby suffocating).

kmorales7690
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Mine is doing it too, she is nine months as well, I think it's either teething or a growth spurt, she won't take naps hardly either. My oldest did this too, and it lasted until she was almost one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)