Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Starting Kindergarten with a binky??

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 41 Replies

So my sister's son is starting Kindergarten in the fall. He still sucks a pacifier throughout the day and night, every day, and he's 4.5. How old is too old to have a pacifier?

Shouldn't a kid kick the binky habit before Kindergarten, at least?

Some beach, somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair...

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I am thinking he needs to be transitioned onto a different soothing object for during the day. I am presuming that he does not have any delays.  My dd never liked a pacifier but will stick thinigs in mouth still at age 7.  Has mom tried different soothing methods other than a pacifier with him?

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

My dd takes a binky, but she is 8 months. I plan to have her totally broken from it by the time she is 2 though. I can't stand seeing older toddlers/kids still sucking on binkys. My niece is 2.5 and I am shocked my SIL still lets her have one. She throws a fit if she doesn't have it, but I really think the fits are better to deal with for a few days than her not breaking that habit.

momofamamasboy
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I think it's too old for a binky :/ at 2 1/2 I got fed up with it for my DS. A friend suggested poking a hole in the tip. Worked like a charm.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2jasper
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Once they can walk, its time to get rid of it! I hate to see a big kid with a pacifier. Thankfully my son never liked his even as a newborn, so I didn't have to worry about getting him off of it. Bottles were thrown out on his first birthday, pacifiers would have gone then too if they stayed that long
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

That is a great idea!

Quoting momofamamasboy:

I think it's too old for a binky :/ at 2 1/2 I got fed up with it for my DS. A friend suggested poking a hole in the tip. Worked like a charm.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
I am a FF, pro BF, cosleeping/bedsharing, babywearing & cloth diapering type of momma!

RomeosLover
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds had his until he was 4.5 and started playing tball. Him being around all the other little boys w/o binks and them asking about it broke him from it very quickly. Kids break themselves from things. He'll grow out of it and he can't take it to school with him. That'll help.
singlemama0905
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
my ds got to keep his until 14 months, only because he was pretty sick and I wasn't about to take it from him when he started walking like I had planned to while he was needing extra comforting from being sick.

once walking binkies needa be gone..and bottles need to go at 1. others may not agree, but in my house I won't leave another choice open.
Nbebemakes4
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Binky in kindergarten?! NO.
I think by one they need to get rid of the binky & start on sippy cups. I can't stand to see kids walking around with bottles & binkys, their for babies!
geekymom08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Breaking of a binky sounds SO much easier than breaking a child of their thumb! Im still working on the thumb at nights thing. I have tried everything under the sun that I can think of. Thank goodness its only a night and really bad owwie thing.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM
3 moms liked this
That's absolutely ridiculous.

They will not allow that in school.

That is beyond lazy parenting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)