Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I'm looking for some gentle advice!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hello. I'm looking for some gentle advice. My daughter is almost 21 months and we bed share. I have no desire to change that, we both sleep great and it's perfect for us. I am a single mother (I live with my parents) and recently started dating someone. I prefer to hang out with him after my daughter has gone to bed. I'll put her down (nursed to sleep) and leave shortly after. My mom uses the monitor and will go and get her if she wakes up. Well, the problem is that then my mom can't get her back to sleep without laying with her or having her sleep on her chest. She will try to put my daughter down and she will wake up as soon as she realizes no one is touching/right next to her. Is there anything I can do to help her stay asleep? Thank you in advance!
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly probably not. She is use to sleeping with you so she will want someone with her at night. She just has to stay strong in the routine and just try to continue to comfort her without laying down.
NiCo86
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

You might want to start weening her from sleeping with you. Start with naps, have her sleep in her crib when she is napping, and then start putting her to bed in her crib before you go to bed, so that you can help soothe her back to sleep if/when she wakes up. If she wakes in the middle of the night, get up and feed her, then put her back down. She might fuss for a few nights, but she'll catch on.

KristenFowles
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Probably not, you've trained her that this is how she's "supposed" to fall asleep..

Heat.Risher
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

That is a rough situation. She has gotten used to the comfort of you being there and that has become her "comfort blanket" per say.

At this point, it may be beneficial to start breaking her of the co-sleeping habit. I can understand not wanting to break that bond, but it will make it easier when you decide to have soemone else watch her for the night if you want to go out before she has fallen asleep.

MMerrill
by Melissa on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM

My son is the same way, so I have no advice.  If you want to continue to bedshare, there might be no way around it!  Good luck!!

thd3dogs
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hmmm,, just a thought, but a friend of mine had a similar issue. She would lay her daughter on/next to her pillow, and the scent of mom seemed to be just what she needed. Best of luck!

cnlsmommy
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Agree with this. We actually use a full size body pillow which helps with safety in the big bed as well (but it's not fool proof! Lol)

Quoting thd3dogs:

Hmmm,, just a thought, but a friend of mine had a similar issue. She would lay her daughter on/next to her pillow, and the scent of mom seemed to be just what she needed. Best of luck!

aodom323
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I read this thing on pinterest that you sew a piece of fabric into a long skinny oval (_________) something that looks like that except bigger lol. you fill that with rice and you microwave it for I think it was a min and it gives babies the comfort and warmth of mom.  I plan on trying it with my son I'm going to use an old shirt of pillowcase so it has my scent too. 

ShireeCS
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM
My dd sept with me for about two years it was tough try laying a pillow next to her and see if that makes a difference if not you may need to start transitioning her out of your bed.
othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Not sure, good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)