Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is there a way to over turn parental rights??

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 9 Replies
My ex and i have 2 beautif boys together. He has been mia for a while now..Doesnt see them call them ask about them doesnt finacial support them, isnt paying his CS. When i do try to contact him he doesnt respond or call back. I asked many times if he wanted to set up a sch to see the boys and he would always avoid answering. So i finally told him why dont you just sign over your rights and be done with it but he refuses! Is there a way to go around this? My DF would LoVE to adopt them and is part of their life everyday they adore him! ... Is there a way for a judge to terminate his rights without him personally signing off?
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BlessedAgain3
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I sole physical and legal custody of them as well
ambermarie2006
by Amber on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM
He would have to sign off on it. My son was adopted by my 2 daughter's father. His bio had to sever all his parental rights and sign off on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
manthers017
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

you can take him to court and if they find him unfit or unstable or you can prove he has not been there for your child (both financially and emotionally)they can take his parental rights away and you can go through with the adoption and he would have no say. once me and my fiance are married and have bought a house and have everything in order i will be taking both of my son's fathers to court to take their rights away why should they have rights when they arent supporting them financially or emotionally. they dot come visit their kids never call to check up on them and they both just disregard the fact they have my son's but they bith have other kids they see and are there for every day.

kjbennett26
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Depends.  Some states have abandonment laws where after x period of time you file for abandonment and send him cert letters and post in newspapers and if he doesnt show your HUSBAND, not fiance can adopt them.  Most states also require you to be married to the person wanting to adopt them for x period of time.

EslingerCrew11
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
From what Im learning personally, if he isn't willing to sign, its generally VERY difficult to get done :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

It depends on your state law. Google parental abandonment and your state.

LongBeachLiz
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Maybe wait it out. Let him come to you. Don't contact him. He may still have legal rights but he will have to exercise them.

After a certain amount of time some states you can file abandonment.
tiredme
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM

It depends on your state.  In my state if my dh was to be out of our dd's life for a year straight I would be able to go to court and have his rights terminated.   In the state I used to live in I decided that I wanted my step-father to adopt me so my parents gave him a chance to change my mind and when he didn't they went to court.  They had to send certified letters, post in papers and went to court when he didn't appear his rights were terminated.

TempestRayne
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Quoting kjbennett26:

Depends.  Some states have abandonment laws where after x period of time you file for abandonment and send him cert letters and post in newspapers and if he doesnt show your HUSBAND, not fiance can adopt them.  Most states also require you to be married to the person wanting to adopt them for x period of time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)