Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Online classes update**

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 10 Replies
Hi. This may be a stupid question but how do i go about signing up to take some online college courses? I have no car and a two year old. I am wanting to start college and i want to be a nurse. I can only take a few at a time because i work four days out of the week and when im not working i have my two year old. I dont want to sign up for something that is a scam and not legitimate and i dont have money at all to put toward schooling. Will i be able to sign up for financial aid to help with books and the cost of the online class? Im at a loss of where to start...

Update: How long do you have to live in one state before you are eligible to recieve financial aid? And has anyone ever tried University of Pheonix? Transportation is an issue right now but wont be in a year. can you take classes online without taking classes on campus for now and then pick them up later?
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredme
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I would look into several different schools.  Look into your community college, most now have online courses.  You can apply for financial aid even if you do classes online.  Online college is the same as regular college except it is completely up to you to do the work and learn the material.  For nursing you should be able to take some classes online but you will have to take classes at the school as well.

erin708
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Look into ur community college. I'm taking classes thru mine now. U can take some classes online but ur labs need to be taken on campus. I know some of the science lectures aren't available online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZephyrsWhisper
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Community Colleges are a good place to start. If you're looking into pure online schools definitely check the ratings and credentials/accreditations. Just in case you may also want to as about credit transfering as well.

megan91
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Bump
Rach0307
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM
My husband just started online classes. There are a few schools that do solely online (we live in VA and Excelsior is actually located in NY- DH is military and his state of residence is NY). My uncle did online classes through the University of Phoenix and never had to step foot on campus. As for financial aid, you must live in the state for at least 12 months (and depending on your school, you won't be charged an out-of-state tuition if you've lived there for a year). Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissacox86
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM
My DH goes to devry university online. You could also check out your local college to see if they offer online courses. Just remember most of the time online classes are more expensive than traditional classes.
claddison
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Community colleges are a good place to start.  i am currently taking online classes with mine. 

My husband got his Master's degree from University of Phoenix online.

megan91
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Quoting claddison:

Community colleges are a good place to start.  i am currently taking online classes with mine. 

My husband got his Master's degree from University of Phoenix online.

that is what i am wanting to do is check into University of Phoenix. How much were some of the classes? And do you get a pretty decent amount of financial aid taking online courses?
ksims130
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Hi! I believe you usually have to live in a state a year before you can be considered a resident. You should be able to get Finincial Aid to help with everything that you need. I suggest looking into an established school that has started an online program, for instance Shorter University in Rome, GA.

aodom323
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Financial aid doesn't rely on how long you have lived in the state it is based on your income on what you will receive.  Check out the community colleges first and call them to see if they offer online classes.  My school does and I have taken 12 classes online.  That will be your cheapest option.  Community colleges are so much cheaper than University of Phoenix and the other schools like that.  My mom went to Kaplan University and she has $64000 in student loans.  If you go to something like University of Phoenix you can't get state grants because the schools are across the country.  The community college you can get those state grants.  

After you find a college you should be able to apply online.  After you apply fill out Fafsa for financial aid.  They will send you an email on what you can qualify for.  You will more than likely have to go to the school to fill out some financial aid paperwork unless they will work you with and mail them to you. You may also have to meet up with an advisor, they will help with scheduling classes and all of that. Also, you will more than likely have to take a placement test so they can put you in an remedial classes that you need.  

If you have not lived in the state for a year you will have to pay out of state tuition in most cases. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN