Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Constant whining. I need help!

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 8 Replies
Landon's 3, and has suddenly developed a whining/cryin thing. Instead of just asking for what he wants like he used to, he immediately cries an throws a fit for it. Dad and I have both told him we can't understand him when he cries, please use your big boy words. We've tried ignoring the crying until he asks nicely, and telling him just flat out "stop crying now. No one understands crying". It's getting frustrating, especially since this is recent and we can't think of anything that could be triggering the crying. He's been asking for what he wants since he was 2, so idk what to do.
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Bump

Rosebud27aj
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Sorry I'm no help....my 3 yr old doesn't talk, so crying for him is communication...here's a bump for you...

ShireeCS
by Shiree on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Keep doing what you are doing I don't understand you if yo want xyz ask like this. Dd is a little older and when she whines I whine back to her she stops pretty quick
megan91
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
You are doing right by ignoring it. just simply say "i cant understand whining and cry and until you can use your words then you wont get what you want" and go about what you were doing. it will be rough for a little bit but he will get it eventually. good luck!
vrouse
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Thanks. The hardest part about ignoring it is dad will give him whatever he's crying about just to get him to stop. Which is what we need to not do. But his reply is always "it's either give it to him or listen to him cry all night." And then a small argument ensues. I guess I should be asking for help with that
vrouse
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM
The problem with that is he starts screaming and it turns into a temper tantrum. A small one, but still no less annoying. I hear ppl have a lot of success with the whining back, but he turns it into a screaming match.

Quoting ShireeCS:

Keep doing what you are doing I don't understand you if yo want xyz ask like this. Dd is a little older and when she whines I whine back to her she stops pretty quick

rwcw89
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

stand your ground and don't give in to the whine and point, he will think its ok to act that way. Keep up the good work, if he continues to whine, walk away until he is ready (tantrums may be thrown) but don't give in!!! (not a mommy, just a child care provider to 9 one yr olds, and 20 something other children) =)

Rach0307
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Yeah, that's a problem. You guys should both be doing what you've been trying to do on your own: say "I don't understand/ respond to whining" and ignore it until he uses his "big boy voice". My son did this for a few weeks last year (will be 4 in June) and quickly learned that whining won't get his way. His daddy needs to be on the same page with you for it to work, though.

Quoting vrouse:

Thanks. The hardest part about ignoring it is dad will give him whatever he's crying about just to get him to stop. Which is what we need to not do. But his reply is always "it's either give it to him or listen to him cry all night." And then a small argument ensues. I guess I should be asking for help with that

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)