Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Sleep Training....... Am I doing it wrong?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 9 Replies

So my son is about to be 11 months old and still doesnt sleep through the night.  His sleep schedule recently changed drastically for him he went from 2 1 hr naps a day and going to bed around 7 to staying up until 9 and only 1 afternoon nap or 2 short ones during the day.  He still wakes up at least 2 times a night and eats and I change his diaper once.  During the weekends we like to go out of town or do things out of the ordinary. After my reading this along with sickness, teething, etc. he has kept a similar pattern but doesnt sleep for more than 4 hrs at a time. If any one can give me some advice as to how to help him sleep better or if this like everything else varies from baby to baby I would greatly appreciated.  Have another one due in July and the lack of sleep is exhausting and if there is something I can do better for next time I would like to know lol Thanks in advance :) 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Some kids don't sleep through the night until 2 or older. I got lucky mine started sleeping 6-8 hours during the night around 2 months old.
Maybe try establishing a good bedtime routine and stick to it every night.
twirling_tink65
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM

That's what I've heard I was just wondering if there was anything else I could do to help encourage it. We pretty much stick to a bed time routine of eat, bath, bottle and bed time nothing to strick.   

ShireeCS
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Dd didn't sleep through the night until she was 2, if he is only getting one nap why is he going to bed later? When kids are overtired they tend not to sleep as well.
twirling_tink65
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I try and normally laid him down for 2 naps a day the last 3 days he only slept for maybe an hr hr and a half total nap time today we got him up earlier then he has been waking up and hes sleeping a bit longer but I am also worried thats going to mess up whatever schedule he was getting on :/ 

lenoxclan
by Lenox on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM

My last did this. I finally asked the ped.. She said he is NOT hungry and it was just habit.  I had to break the habit..

So, I did the unpopular and let him cry himself to sleep. Took 2 days and he was sleeping through the night.

Mom2Just1
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM
All kids sleep when they need to sleep. We don't sleep train and have great sleepers. They did when they were ready.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I haven't tried to sleep train and won't. My dd is 8 months and has always woken up 2 or 3 times a night.

Hi_Rae
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Im no help, my 1 year old doesnt sleep through the night either but we dont do sleep training or CIO. But heres a bump for yoy
HeathLaw22
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Some kids don't sleep the whole night through, until 2 sometimes older. My DS did this same thing for a little while he is 18 months now, I don't remember at how many months he did this, but I am pretty sure it was shortly after his first birthday. Before then he slept at least 8-10 hours every night and then poof he started taking one nap staying up until 9 or 10 and waking me up at 5:30 6am and not going down for a nap until 11:30 or 12. It was so frustrating. I think I just kept laying him down at night at the time I wanted him to go to bed, and when if he woke up before morning I would give him some water and rock him back to sleep. I was giving him water though because the doctor told us to wean him from his formula at that point, and eventually he started sleeping how I wanted him to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN