Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

It's Hard making other Mom friends, anyone else feel this way?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 37 Replies
6 moms liked this

Hey all Mamas,

I am Christina, and I am 27 years old with a 6 year old daughter and a 7 month old son. We live close to nyc. I would love to make more friends both here and around the country. The truth is since I do not work yet ( finishing my degree) I really do not know to many other moms, only a few and I sometimes feel bad about not really having strong bonds with people like I did when I was younger. Now that I am a mom it is hard to find other moms who I really connect with. Does anyone else have this problem? I am not a nasty or judgemental person, it's just that I do no get out that much since I am always with my younger one.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamatoALE
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a hard time making friends now, too. I am a stay at home mom and we move a lot because my husband is in the military.

liveforever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Honestly until my dd started kindergarten I didnt have many mom friends. I met a great group of ladies that had kids in her class. Now we all hang out, the kids play...even the husbands became friends! Before that, I had a couple good friends I had known for years, but they didnt have kids so sometimes hanging out was hard to schedule.

Hang in there, Im sure youll meet people. Just try being extra friendly at school events and such. Im shy and didnt realize I came off as unapproachable to some people. I always appreciated the people who initiated the small talk and such.

Im also 27 and my dd is 6. If you ever want to talk Im here!

LadyChristina2
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Thanks! My daughter is in First grade, and every year I meet maybe one mom who I can set up play dates with and what not. Most of the moms are all older then me, I mean five to ten years older then me, and it is hard to make friends when you are a younger mom.

Quoting liveforever:

Honestly until my dd started kindergarten I didnt have many mom friends. I met a great group of ladies that had kids in her class. Now we all hang out, the kids play...even the husbands became friends! Before that, I had a couple good friends I had known for years, but they didnt have kids so sometimes hanging out was hard to schedule.

Hang in there, Im sure youll meet people. Just try being extra friendly at school events and such. Im shy and didnt realize I came off as unapproachable to some people. I always appreciated the people who initiated the small talk and such.

liveforever
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I think I got lucky. Our circle of friends ranges from 27 to 38. We didn't know each others ages for a long time.

Quoting LadyChristina2:

Thanks! My daughter is in First grade, and every year I meet maybe one mom who I can set up play dates with and what not. Most of the moms are all older then me, I mean five to ten years older then me, and it is hard to make friends when you are a younger mom.

Quoting liveforever:

peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:24 PM

the hospital my daughter was born in has a support group for moms of young children.  My church also has a moms group.  I have made friends in both those places.

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

it is super hard to make mommy friends.  I'm a super social person and due to drama with my first then moving across country...lost many many friends. I only have 2 or 3 mommy friends and it has taken me almost 7 yrs to find them. It sucks!

I'm 26 have a 6 yr old boy, 5 yr old boy and 4 yr old girl  :)

villagemamma
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Other moms can be so judgmental especially if they are around you and your child often enough to see the good days and the bad. it feels like it is always a competition of whos the better parent or whos kids the smartest. I have a few friends that have kids but we dont hang out as much as i would like because its just to stressful

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group! My name is Khelsea, I'm 21 and have an 8 month old daughter. I also find it hard to meet new moms, I get what you're saying that you don't connect with people like you used to. It used to be very easy for me to make friends before having a baby and I feel the exact same way.

armyvet06
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM
I have a hard time as well. being a single mom, I don't really get the chance to go out often. And I am also finishing my degree so that just makes it worse.
1hotmama21
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM
It is hard making mommy friends. Im 26 and a stay at home mom to 3 boys and 1 girl. My friend is my DH and the kids. I talk to my mom sometimes but not alot and thats about it for me. I hope you have good luck finding other moms to talk to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)