Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Am I an unfit parent, or just normal?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hello all,

My husband and I have a 2.5 year old daughter, Peyton, who is the little love of my life. We are also expecting a son to be born via c-section 6.20.13. I was less than enthused about having a boy but my husband is elated. I have a weird feeling that I may not love the baby as much I love Peyton. I am also afraid that I may not want to spend time with him and that I will show Peyton favoritism, which can damage the child for the rest of his life. Could you ladies tell me if this is normal to feel this way?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
3 moms liked this

VERY normal!!

When he's here, you'll see how quickly you love him as much as Peyton :) Not the SAME way, differently.. but just as much. 

Congrats momma!

momsince04
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally normal.. You will probably end up spending more time w the baby and that's ok too. If you are really worried let your doctor know so the can watch for PPD
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Completely. I had a boy first and then my second was a girl. I had never really wanted a girl and didn't feel the instant connection with her like I did my son when I found out I was pregnant. I didn't necessarily enjoy the pregnancy and didn't feel like I really loved her as much.

I also had her via c-section and as soon as she was both the connection hit and I now love her just as much as my son. It will get there. I promise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrscass0416
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Normal! When the baby is here you will love him just as much as you love her. I think a lot of moms feel this way. 

ShelMama
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure it's normal. I bet your mind changes once you see/hold that baby. I wasn't thrilled about having a boy and now...he is the love of my life. He's such a sweet, mama's boy. He's my little protector.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlecheifsmom
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep normal. Once u lock eyes, you'll be head over heals. The love for by boys are both different but equally the same.
jln005
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I was the same way when I found out I was having a boy, but after he was born, I didn't care! I was so elated just to have him with me and that he is healthy. Now I'm actually glad I had a boy...

.KFeatherable.
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I have 3 boys now and felt the exact same way. Anything I thought during pregnancy faded after I held them for the first time.
_jcls_
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I really hope it's normal because that's how I've been feeling. We have one dd who is almost 2 1/2 and our ds is due june 7th. Our dd is my world and I'm so worried about everything you have written. I have told my dh how I feel, he said it would change once he's here. I really hope so.
Courtney610
by Courtney on May. 1, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Just wait until you see his precious little face for the first time.  The amount of love you have to give will grow, and there will be plenty for him too.  ((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN